Thursday, January 10, 2019

January 10 – “the wildly popular Farewell Song”


I started the day off (after doing an hour or so of work) by joining Chris on a walk.  I just went a mile, of course.  She continued on for I think three this time.  I just know I had time to complete all of my knee exercises and get started back on computer work before she got home.  It does feel good to be walking purposefully again.  I’m still a little hesitant in unfamiliar or unusual terrain, though.  But I suppose that it a good thing.

Oh, I forgot to mention that we had to take a break in there before the walk to take Cailyn to school.  She was especially excited that I was there with her when we pulled up to the school property and I started singing my wildly popular “Farewell Song” to her.  I could tell she wanted me to continue and even sing louder so all her friends could hear.  She was kind of speechless, though.  All she could say, over and over again, was “DadDad.  DadDad.  DadDad.”  Not sure why she kept shaking her head, though.  Maybe she was shaking away the last vestiges of sleep.  I’m just glad I could be of assistance.

When we picked her up we had the joy of telling her that she had softball practice.  Maybe “joy” isn’t exactly the right word.  It was kind of a chore getting her there.  But after she made phone calls to her Mom and Dad at work, and after Nani did some pretty heavy reassuring, she changed clothes and was all smiles.  Hormones?  Girls?  She wants to play volleyball and dance, but neither is on the docket just yet.  The thing is, she is really good at softball.  And once she gets to practice she is fine.  She enjoys being with her teammates and coaches.  Of course yesterday it was cold.  And she had on shorts.  Chris finally went back to their house and got her some long pants to wear. 

I had a meeting with a fire department family last night about a funeral service.  We met over at Mario’s on 61st Street (a really good Italian restaurant on the Island).  They invited Chris and Cailyn to come along, too.  Their daughter and Cailyn have known each other forever through department activities.  They want me to lead an upbeat sort of mini-service at the visitation tonight.  It was actually a lot of fun getting to know the family better.  I’m looking forward to being there with them tonight.

Psalms 125:4 says, “Do good, O Lord, to those who are good, to those who are upright in heart.”

Father, be with the Rojas family tonight and tomorrow as they walk through a tough time.  Surround them with family and friends to assure them that they are not walking along.  Amen.

No comments: