Friday, January 11, 2019

January 11 – “The Original Moose”


I witnessed quite an expression of love and appreciation last night.  I was asked to officiate a “relatively light-hearted” remembrance service of sorts for the father of one of our fire fighters.  The family has been in Galveston for years, and is well-known around town.  In fact, I was in the local Village Hardware store yesterday afternoon and mentioned what I was doing later on.  Never mentioned a name, but the proprietor smiled and asked, “Is that for Moose’s Dad?”  Yes, indeed. 

The room was filled with people when I arrived at the funeral home.  I acknowledged a few fire fighters, and Moose told me the “Big Chiefs” had already been there to pay their respects.  I thought I would include a few of the things I learned about Moose’s Dad.  I included some props to help liven up the presentation.  I’m not sure many of the people had ever seen anything like that.  They certainly didn’t seem to expect it.  It was all about honoring Moose’s Dad, though.  Here are my notes:

You know, I spent just an hour or so over at Mario’s last night talking to Moose and Marissa and even Gianna a little bit.  They were telling me some amazing things about an amazing man. 

And I brought a few things to help us out.  One of the things that struck me the most about David was … <> he has a die-hard Astros fan.  Once they told me that, I was sold.  I knew we had a connection.  And then I heard that he loved fishing <> Wow.  I was really sold.  This man could be my friend any day.

Now I understand he was the original “Moose.”  That used to be his nickname.  He did some heavy lifting work in his time.  But that gave way to an expertise that might be a little more unexpected.  <> Seems he could use one of these and a plumbline and a level … and his eyeball … and build just about anything.  Pretty impressive stuff. 

And this gruff, hard-nosed welder who rarely complained of being sick unless it was serious SICK, had a special place in his heart for his grandkids.  Gianna told me that he always called her his “Sweetie.”  That’s special.

And this man was an entrepreneur.  <> In the off season, he would take his father’s truck, fill it up with onions, and drive it all the way to Florida, where he would sell them.  Then he’d load up the truck with oranges <>, drive back and sell those.  Made some good money, too. 

Several others shared some memories, and then Moose’s wife Marissa read a tribute from Moose and one from herself.  They were both admirably written, and she did a fabulous job presenting them.  It was evident that Mr. Rojas was a well-loved man.  He will be certainly missed. 

John 14:1-3 says, “Stop letting your hearts be troubled; keep on believing in God, and also in me.  In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places; if there were not, I would have told you, for I am going away to make ready a place for you.  And if I go and make it ready for you, I will come back and take you to be face to face with me, so that you may always be right where I am.”

Father, would you continue walking with Moose and Marissa and Gianna and the rest of that wonderful family?  Help then to feel those hugs that you alone can give.  Amen.

No comments: