Friday, January 25, 2019

January 25 – “Are you cutting me loose?”


I should have known something was up.  We arrived at physical therapy to find my original therapist was back at the fore of my recovery bid.  And of course the first thing she did was stop at the dreaded, evil Blue Circle of Balance machine.  It had been so long that she had to remind me how to operate everything, but sadly it all came back quickly enough.  I have to say that it was indeed much easier than it had been the first time I attempted it, but it still had its moments of delighting in tossing me off balance. 

We moved from there to the other balance contraptions.  Guiding a ball through a maze while balancing on a ball at one end of the maze.  Rocking back and forth on a board with a bar in the middle under it.  Standing toe to heel on a three inch thick mat with my eyes closed for thirty seconds (Hey, you try it.  Harder than you think).  I have to admit there were a more than a few times when I got distracted and started playing around on the devices while she wasn’t looking.  You know, pretending to be surfing or crossing a pit of burning lava on a tiny strand of … well, I digress.  But I think you get the idea. 

Finally she led me over to “The Table.”  That’s when I was sure of what was to come next.  The dreaded “Measurements.”  I made my way onto the table, and while she was preparing her computer, I struggled to bend my knee as far as I could possibly get it.  When she turned around I assured her that it would be a good idea to take this measurement first because I probably couldn’t get it any more bent.  She agreed, and as it turned out my goal of 122 degrees has officially been blown out of the water.  133 degrees.  That’s the same measurement as my other knee.  Guess that’s a check on the old checklist.  The other measurements all showed significant advancement as well.  And when she told me to squeeze my knees together while she tried to keep them apart, I was able to overcome her pressure and push her ring into the other hand hard enough for her to cry “uncle.” 

She backed off then and said, “You are a Superstar.”  I replied, “So am I done here?”  She said, “Well, you have several more appointments scheduled.”  I asked. “Do I have to keep them?”  She answered, “Do you want to keep them?”  This was becoming quite the cute little game.  I finally just outright asked, “So are you cutting me loose?”  And she said, “You are a free man.”  There it was.  She canceled the future appointments, assured me that she would be around if anything came up that I needed, and wished me well.  Now I get to make up my own crazy exercises instead of doing the ones they make up.  Hmm.  I wonder how long it will take to leap onto a chair … Can’t wait …

Psalms 136:1-3 says, “Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good.  His love endures forever.  Give thanks to the God of gods.  His love endures forever.  Give thanks to the Lord of lords: His love endures forever.”

Father, thank you for the great news.  Help me to stay consistent with exercising so I can get this built back up to where it needs to be.  Amen.

No comments: