Thursday, August 30, 2018

August 30 – “Move along here …”


We took Cailyn to school for the first time this year.  Mom and Dad were both working.  It wasn’t her first day, though.  Wow.  Fourth grade.  Last year in elementary school according to the Galveston system, which, by the way, I think is a little weird.  I was in elementary school until I finished sixth grade.  Then we went to junior high for seventh through ninth before heading to high school.  Not sure anybody does it that way any more. 

Now, I didn’t know that all the rules changed this year.  Seems that she doesn’t want me to walk her inside, hand-in-hand, skipping merrily.  Can you believe that?  Well, she really didn’t like me doing that last year, either.  Or the year before.  Come to think of it, she was probably in kindergarten the last time that particular action struck a positive chord.  Not that I haven’t given it a good go every year …

So … the new rules.  No longer are we to park and walk with her to the front door, get a sweet hug and a quick “I love you.”  Oh, no.  Now we have to take her via the drive-through lanes.  Oh, believe me, I did offer to leap out of the car and skip in with her from the car lane, since Chris was driving and all.  Chris even offered to pull over and park so we could both go in.  Horrified however, Cailyn hurriedly fumbled her way out of the back door.  But then she came back to my window and asked me to roll it down.  I thought, “Oh, how sweet.  I’m getting a hug after all.  Nope.  “DadDad, will you text Mommy and tell her I got here?  I forgot to.  Love you.  Bye.”  I assured her back that her request would be adequately and quickly handled.  And then I tossed out one last attempt, “Are you sure you don’t want me to come inside with you?”  Chris added, “We haven’t met your new teacher yet, you know.”  Cailyn simply ran ahead, and with a wave of her hand like the old timer crossing guard, she cried out, “Move along here, just move along.”  How old is this girl, anyway?

Psalms 96:4-6 says, “For great is the Lord and most worthy of praise; he is to be feared above all gods.  For all the gods of the nations are idols, but the Lord made the heavens.   Splendor and majesty are before him; strength and glory are in his sanctuary.”

Father, thank you for that growing girl.  Maybe a little too fast growing, don’t you think?  Amen.

No comments: