Saturday, August 25, 2018

August 25 – “Seri-ociously hot”


After two days off for our quick little jaunt to Arlington and Waco, we were back to the early morning walk.  Two miles again for me.  Five for Chris.  And my knee, although it did pretty well during the trek, was swollen and barking for the rest of the day.  Just not used to the old grind yet, I guess.  Of course it probably didn’t help that I spent an hour or so after the walk out in the yard pulling up stickerburs.  Sadly, that’s the only way to effectively eradicate the evil interlopers of lawns.  And did I mention that it was seri-ociously hot?  That would be somewhere between serious and ferocious.  Heat index well over 100.  Ah.  I love living on a tropical island paradise.

After we recovered a bit from our outdoor sauna experience, we made our way to WalMart and Randall’s.  We were looking for some air conditioner filters at WalMart.  And of course they had every size except the one we needed.  Oh, well.  At least it wasn’t a crisis purchase as yet.  Now that doesn’t mean some objects didn’t mysteriously find their way into our basket.  And I did have to renew my fishing license, which by the way was a lot cheaper now that I am officially old.  And I even included the fresh water version this time so I can be all legal when we go fishing with Zak up in Waco. 

We also made a quick run over to Randall’s to pick up some stamps.  It is so much better to be able to get them there instead of going to the Post Office.  It’s not all that far, but top get there one has to get on 61st Street and go even farther east.  The barrier is real.  While waiting in line we saw something I personally don’t ever remember seeing (Which doesn’t really mean I haven’t seen it before.  I just don’t remember.  Big difference.  Something about non-essential information cluttering up what little usable brain space I have available to me).  Three different people were there to cash in winning lottery tickets.  I didn’t see how much two of them won, but the other guy walked away with sixty dollars.  And the burning question in both of our minds after that experience?  I wonder how much he had to spend to get that $60?  Not worth the waste to me.  After all, we have a cruise to save for.

Psalms 95:4-5 says, “In his hand are the depths of the earth, and the mountain peaks belong to him.  The sea is his, for he made it, and his hands formed the dry land.”

Father, please keep people safe in this unbelievable heat.  I’m especially concerned about the firefighters when they have to don their turnout gear.  Amen.

No comments: