Wednesday, August 29, 2018

August 29 – “A Romantic Rainfall”


Ah.  Romance.  Ain’t it a marvelous thing?  Chris and I experienced a special romantic moment yesterday.  We were out on our morning walk, minding our own business, enjoying the cool breeze when what should happen?  A sudden downpour.  Rain from nowhere (Well, of course it was from the clouds, I know that.  But don’t ruin the poetic platitudes of my story).  The perfect setting for one of those old AMC movies.  A romantic walk in the rain.  Feeling just wonderful yet? 

Well, I forgot to add one tiny detail.  See, we were taking our walk, but at the time of the rain we kinda sorta just weren’t together.  I only walk two and a half miles.  Chris goes five.  We had already split our tracks when the moisture began. 

So when the rain began to fall, Chris raced for cover on one street and texted me a romantic, “Hey, it’s raining and I am hiding.”  I replied with naught but the truth, a very eloquent, “Not me.  I’m wet.”  Now what follows was my stab at recovering the potential romance of this awkward scenario.  I added, “Oh.  And I’m home.  Want me to come get you?”  See how I did that there?  An offer to be her knight in shining armor.  Pretty good, huh?  Oh, want to know how she responded?  In her very best damsel in distress texting voice she answered, “No.” 

Sigh.  But I did get out a towel for her when she finally made it home.  That counts for something, right?

Psalms 96:2-3 says, “Sing to the Lord, praise his name; proclaim his salvation day after day.  Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous deeds among all peoples.”

Father, thank you for that rain.  It was certainly much needed.  And I have to admit … it was fun to walk in it.  Amen.

No comments: