Tuesday, August 14, 2018

August 14 - “The Loop and Lovie”


Well, I have added an entire loop onto my mile walk in the mornings.  I can feel it long after.  Chris still continues on her four mile jaunts, so at the close of a mile, she gives me a kiss, she turns right and I turn left – separated but for a moment in the grand scheme of great romances (well, it’s more like 45 minutes or so).   That gives me time to complete my morning workout.  Leg lifts and isometrics for strengthening the muscles around the bad knee.  Then stretching to ease up the muscles I just worked so hard to tighten.  Not sure I understand the logic there …

As I limped home on that first day, after that first loop, I was greeted by a real treat.  I got to meet Lovie. Real person, that Lovie (Not Thurston Howell III’s wife).  She was puttering about one of the lawns in the neighborhood, picking up stray bits of grass.  She smiled broadly when I greeted her, and immediately informed me that she had just mowed the lawn for the first time in her 51 years of life.  I replied that it was obvious she had done a good job, too.  She beamed.  Well, until she continued on with the story of her new experience.  Seems she was “using a rear expel mower and I didn’t know there was a bag that was supposed to be on there.”  Needless to say, she took a bath in grass.  She didn’t say how long it took her to figure out the problem.  She was a proud Mama, though.  Told me her son-in-law worked 127 hours last week (I’m pretty sure he is a med student at UTMB).  Her daughter takes care of their three preschoolers, including a brand new baby.  I told her a lot would be expected of her now that they know she can mow.  She grinned that wide Lovey grin again and replied, “Oh, it helps that I live 700 miles away.”  Lovie will be fine.

Psalms 91:1 says, “He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.”

Father, thank you for the chance to meet Lovie.  Give her plenty of time to enjoy her grandchildren before she has to make the 700 mile trip back to wherever home is.  Amen.

No comments: