Thursday, July 26, 2018

July 26 – “A day in the life of a knight in shining armor”


Sigh.  Another big computer work day yesterday.  I’m doing my best to get at least a little ahead for when we are at the Baptist convention starting Sunday.  Then Cousins’ Camp right after that.  Then a possible mystery tour after we return some cousins back to Waco.  Hey … at least we will get a chance to try out our new car on a road trip. 

Chris asked me to go shopping with her.  Not leave-the-Island shopping, though.  So I went.  I think she felt sorry for me since I haven’t been able to walk with her in the mornings because of my knee.  She’s up to four miles on her own.  I’m impressed.  And a little jealous.  I see the orthopedist tomorrow.  Maybe some answers beyond “getting old” lie in my future.  Besides, how could I resist the appeal of a fair maiden for protection?

We went first to Academy.  She has been looking for some sandals for some time now.  The ones she had literally fell apart.  Duct tape only goes so far, even in designer colors.  Unbelievably, that trip was a rousing success.  She was trying to decide whether to settle for a pair that just didn’t quite fit.  Meanwhile, I was engaged in every little boy’s dream when trapped in a shoe department.  Legos with shoeboxes.  What marvelous things one can build when given enough time to oneself.  Not that I was doing anything so juvenile.  Not me.  I was merely digging back behind a huge pile of shoeboxes, diligently searching for the right size to meet me wife’s need.  And wouldn’t you know it?  There it was.  Her size.  Even came in a Teva.  I donned my shining armor, hopped on my white steed and galloped over to where she was trying on the too-small shoes.  Ta-da.  Victory.  The ones I provided fit perfectly.  And if they are true to their predecessors, they will last for years to come. 

The rest of the journey was kind of anticlimactic.  We went to WalMart, of course.  Searching for a particular size picture frame there.  Nope.  I did, however, almost get light sabered with a pool noodle in the parking lot.  It would have been one thing had it been a child.  I could have gone all Han Solo on him.  I was, after all, already clad in my white knight’s armor.  But it was clearly a Mom.  I did offer her my bared neck should she want another swipe at me, but she refused, apologizing profusely.  Her husband, meanwhile, snickered in the background.  No such excitement at Randall’s, although we did get some dog food and fruit there.  Oh, well.  Give me a run-in with a Jedi over a boring yet successful fruit and dog food run any day.

Psalms 86:12-13 says, “I will praise you, O Lord my God, with all my heart; I will glorify your name forever.  For great is your love toward me.”

Father, thank you for Tevas and pool noodles and shoeboxbox-sized Legos.  Oh, and shining armor.  That’s pretty special, too.  Amen.

No comments: