Wednesday, July 18, 2018

July 18 – “It’s for Mom”


I buried myself in work again yesterday.  I did get a lot done, but it kind of wore me out.  Not so much physically, but I did feel exhausted.  It helped that Chris was able to get her haircut.  Always a lift to my spirits when she walks through the door and gives me a pat on the arm or a quick kiss.  And to have her looking even cuter than usual doesn’t hurt, either.

Last night we watched the All Star game.  Well, I watched it while Chris did cross stitch and watched me watch it.  I’m no sports reporter, but that was a really fun game.  They put a microphone on a few of the players out in the field during the game and had a conversation with them while the opposing team batted.  There are some really funny guys out there.  My favorite line of the evening was one of the National League outfielders.  The American League started scoring, so the announcer asked if the fielder thought they had jinxed them.  He responded, “Naw.  I’m not superstitious.  Well, maybe I’m a little bit stitious.”  Classic etymological breakdown.  Nicely done.

As far as the Astros’ representatives were concerned, I would say they did just fine.  Verlander didn’t pitch because his last start was too close, so he didn’t have enough rest.  Cole didn’t pitch either.  Not sure why.  Maybe they just didn’t get to him.  Morton came really close to getting the win after giving up a tying home run, nut the pitcher after him blew the save by giving up a game-tying home run in the bottom of the ninth.  Altuve and Springer both got singles during the course of the game.  But the real fireworks came in the top of the tenth inning.  Bregman batted first.  He was the only Astro position player without a hit, so the pressure was on.  And boy did he ever deliver.  Home run to put the National League ahead.  And on the very next pitch?  Springer added another home run to put the game out of reach.  Back to back off the Dodgers All-Star representative.  Just like the World Series. 

And to close out the night, Bregman was awarded Most Valuable Player honors.  He got the Ted Williams trophy (Looked like a glass bat).  He said it was special because one time his Dad got to sit on Ted Williams’ lap.  Then he was presented with his choice of a brand new truck or a Camaro.  He didn’t even hesitate.  He took the Camaro and said he was giving it to his Mom.  And as the camera panned away from the awards ceremony, there she was.  Bregman’s Mom was dashing across the infield.  Ran into her son’s arms.  Sweet baseball memories for them, that’s for sure. 

Psalms 84:11 says, “For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows favor and honor; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless.”

Father, thank you for the chances you gave me to do things for my Mom.  Not a Camero, mind you, but I think she was OK with scribbled pictures for the fridge and a big hug.  Amen.

No comments: