Thursday, July 12, 2018

July 12 – “CrazIER”


We have had a lot of rain around Gilligan’s Island lately.  Kind of odd for our summer season, actually.  Not that we are complaining by any means.  We haven’t had to water the grass very much at all, for example.  Oh, and the mosquito eggs are hatching just fine, but that’s one for another day.  Back to the grass.  All that rain made the grass grow.  Imagine that.  It was once again time to get out the mower and weedeater and plod through the fields to whack them down to a more manageable level.  Now I don’t really mind mowing the grass.  It’s kind of like vacuuming.  You can actually see the results of your labor rather quickly.  Immediate gratification and all that.  But I am finding that it is not that easy to plod through the fields with a bum knee.  This whole “mild osteoarthritis” has got to be a misnomer.  There is nothing mild about pain with every step (well, every other step, I guess would be more accurate, wouldn’t it, since it’s only one knee).  I keep thinking if I use it enough it will get all greased up inside there and stop hurting.  So … maybe I haven’t used it enough yet.

Meanwhile, we had some short visitors yesterday.  Kel had a day surgery scheduled, so we had the kiddos for the day.  Ezra was certainly a treat.  For some reason he likes to walk around the house yelling, “DadDad.  DadDad.  DadDad …”  That would be me.  It’s kind of fun, actually.  Makes me feel wanted.  Just so he yells “Nana” when he needs a diaper change …

Oh, and I finally got my hair cut.  It has been driving me nuts.  I really don’t like it when it trickles down around my ears.  Hats off again to all you ladies who wear your hair long.  I don’t know how I managed it when I was younger … much younger … like back in the 60’s younger.  Other than we were all a little crazy back then.  OK … CrazIER?

We watched the Astros game on TV last night.  Surprised?  Well, imagine our surprise when the camera panned through the crowd and there were Cory and Sarah from church.  Sarah is right up there with me as far as big Astros fans go.  I quickly backed up the TV feed (what did we do before all this technology?) and snapped a photo of the screen.  Then I sent it to them so they would know they were being watched.  There has to be a sermon illustration in there somewhere, don’t you think?  God (or someone else) is always watching … it does matter how you behave.

Psalms 81:1-2 says, “Sing for joy to God our strength; shout aloud to the God of Jacob!  Begin the music, strike the tambourine, play the melodious harp and lyre.”

Father, thank you for crazy times and fan-atic friends and short visitors.  Amen.

No comments: