Saturday, July 21, 2018

July 21 – “Honoring Mr. Burns”


I went to a funeral yesterday for the grandfather of one of our young fire fighters.  It was a very simple, yet quite beautiful tribute to the gentleman.  He was obviously loved and highly respected by his family and friends and apparently the whole Santa Fe community.  Mr. Burns was a Christian and a member of the local Cowboy Church.  There were quite a few men in cowboy hats, and the pall bearers all wore the traditional blue jeans and white shirts and cowboy hats.  I did notice that they kept the hats on throughout the service, but all the hats came off during prayers.  Respect for the Lord.  I like that. 

One of his sons actually led the service and part of his responsibility was to present the gospel.  He read John 3:16, and I saw quite a few lips reciting it along with him.  Then he made a simple appeal for folks to pray and give their life to Jesus.  Obviously heartfelt.  One of the most “real” gospel presentations I have heard in years.  Another son read the obituary, and our fire fighter grandson read a tribute he had written as well.  They were all shaken, to be sure, but they all did a great job. 

The family asked the funeral home to handle the military flag presentation portion of the service.  As beautiful and moving as it is when servicemen are involved, I don’t mind having this particular funeral home take care of it.  I have seen their handiwork several times now, and they always do a fine job.  Yesterday was no different.  One comment they made that was a new one to me came in the portion just before the actual flag folding.  It was a simple thought.  The guy reminded us that something had to hold the red and white stripes together to maintain the flag’s strong foundation.  Something had to keep the stars on the blue background.  What was that?  The thread.  And the thread represents the military servicemen and women who have fought for the country.  Powerful imagery.  Then another of our fire fighters assisted with the actual flag folding while the narrator explained the meaning behind each of the thirteen folds.  And of course the playing of taps is always enough to bring numerous tears throughout the building. 

I wasn’t able to attend the graveside portion of the service, but from what I experienced yesterday, the family’s wish to have celebration instead of sadness was certainly accomplished.  May God be with your family, Jonathan.

In John 14:1-3 Jesus says, “Stop letting your hearts be troubled; keep on believing in God, and also in me.  In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places; if there were not, I would have told you, for I am going away to make ready a place for you.  And if I go and make it ready for you, I will come back and take you to be face to face with me, so that you may always be right where I am.”

Father, I do ask that you walk with the Burns family as they grieve and remember and make plans to move on.  Amen.

No comments: