Thursday, June 7, 2018

June 7 – “The Giftings and the Day”


Ah, yes.  The anniversary giftings.  As it turned out, we both went a little cheesy this year.  But we were both on the same page.  Both gifts had something to do with our recent propensity to travel.  She gave me a stuffed Buc-ee Beaver.  All these trips and on most every one we have stopped at a Buc-ees.  Never grabbed a stuffed Buc-ee, though.  Got one now.  Great gift.  She topped it off with some of that caramel popcorn they sell there.  We always get some for our trip snack box.  Ahead of the game now.

My gift to her was also a traveling special.  It was a handmade visual attraction of our national park quest.  Not sure I can describe it though.  It involves a piece of our Ike-destroyed cedar chest. Some scrap wood.  Small photos of the National Park signs we have seen.  Maybe a photo or two of some of the more interesting beasts we have come across.  Oh, and a self-portrait of the two of us … of sorts.  Extremely cheesy.  Well-thought out, but cheesy.

Our day?  Well, I had a hearing aid appointment at 10 a.m.  That was all about her, you know.  She even congratulated me the other day in the car because the radio wasn’t blaring and I could apparently hear it.  Of course that was before the Astros game got exciting.  I did turn it up some then.  Then I had to officiate a wedding at 1 p.m.  Hey, how could I not?  I couldn’t be a party to a happy young couple not getting to start a 43 year journey together.  Not on this day.  Nope.  Of course we did have a nice late lunch together.  Me and Chris and Cailyn enjoyed an uninterrupted delight at Shrimp n Stuff.  No, that’s not the name of one of their dishes.  There just weren’t any interruptions.  And the calm day continued with a trip to WalMart for some groceries.  Had to stock up for our company coming in today from Waco.  Can’t beat a good WalMart trip, you know.  We did split up for a time after that.  I took Cailyn to softball practice.  And finally, when all was said and done, I watched the Astros game and Chris worked on culling more photos for her scrapbook project. 

43 years.   I guess after 43 years you can have a day like this and still know that you are in love …

As Psalms 68:1 begins, “May God arise!”

Father, thank you one more time for placing Chris in my life.  Amen.

No comments: