Wednesday, June 13, 2018

June 13 – “The struggle”


I forced myself to get up really early yesterday.  I had agreed to struggle through the difficult task of taking our out of town friends … fishing.  Never an easy thing, but someone has to do it. 

We met up at the church since they were staying near Jamaica Beach.  I guess they had stayed up too late the night before chasing crabs around on the beach, because they were late.  I texted them to let them know I was waiting, and they were there in minutes.  Sadly, we couldn’t do any wade fishing.  The Gulf waters were raging, and the red flags were out warning of some pretty treacherous currents.  So we headed over to the little park on a Jamaica Beach main canal and settled in.  My first cast I caught a little sand trout.  Second one I caught a nice spec.  From that point on we fed the piggies.  Even used up most of the bucket full of shad a neighboring fisherman gave us when he left for the day.  Oh, Rachel did catch a spec and a croaker, so she managed to soundly defeat Corbin in the newlywed fishing tournament.  He reeled in his share of piggies, though.  Nice job, Corbin.  I’ll let your Dad know how well you did when he comes down next week. 

Our “official” catching up continued last night.  Corbin and Rachel came over for dinner.  Chris regaled them with a big pot of shrimp gumbo.  It also had stuff in it like chicken and crab and sausage, but in my mind, if there are shrimp in there, it’s shrimp gumbo.  Good stuff.  We did forget to pick up okra at the store though, so those tiny little slimy tidbits were missing.  But still, good stuff.  She also sautéed the specs we caught that morning.  Can’t beat that, either.

Good meal.  Good friends.  And the Astros even won out in California.  Good day.

Psalms 68:19 says, “Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens.”

Father, thank you for this chance we have had to get to know Rachel.  Bless the two of them in their marriage.  Amen.

No comments: