Tuesday, June 19, 2018

June 19 – “Diversionary tactics”


The rain has officially arrived.  We have been under drought conditions here on Gilligan’s Island for all of June and a lot of May as well.  Not bad enough yet to call for those water-your-yard restrictions, but close enough that the powers that be were certainly watching things closely.  And then one of our favorite summer events of all time occurred out in the Gulf.  A weather system.  It never achieved “official” status as a hurricane or even a tropical storm, but it did make its way toward us as a mass of rain and thunderstorms.  The rain began Sunday off and on and continued in full force all day yesterday.  The forecast calls for scattered thunderstorms tapering off over the next few days.  Of course Islanders don’t put a whole lot of stock in forecasts.  We have too often seen rain inundate the mainland while we stayed high and dry.  We do really need the rain, but we have some friends headed our way this week, and I would sure like a good window to take them fishing. 

Speaking of the weather, the air conditioner at church is still not fixed.  The company is waiting for yet another part to arrive (GLWW - gotta love warranty work).  Meanwhile, Sunday was pretty miserable.  I even had a hard time concentrating to do the teaching.  I applaud all those congregants who managed to stay awake for the whole time.  At least dinner on the grounds was in the room that still had a working air conditioner.  The tough thing is, we have a music camp group in town this week staying at the retreat center that uses the worship center for some of their activities each day.  They are going to join in the misery, I’m sure (although maybe the rain will give them a respite from the heat). 

Speaking of misery, Chris went into Texas yesterday to take care of Noa for a few hours.  The youngster was afflicted with a fever and everybody else in her family (except Dad, of course, who was at work) was headed for Vacation Bible School.  Chris told me that Noa greeted her with a very sad face and, “Nana, I can’t go to Bible school today.”  Holding up several fingers, she continued, now frustrated and almost angry, “There’s only this many days of Bible school and I can’t go to this one (closing one finger into her tiny fist) so I only have this many days left to go.”  Undaunted, Chris reverted back to homeschool Mom mode, “So how many days is that?”  Noa answered right away, and then added, “Can we watch a movie?”  I guess the diversionary tactic known as “Counting” worked. 

Psalms 71:5-6 says, “For you have been my hope, O Sovereign Lord, my confidence since my youth.  From birth I have relied on you; you brought me forth from my mother's womb.  I will ever praise you.”

Father, help little Noa get to feeling better so she can get to her VBS experience for a few fingers of time this week.  Amen.

No comments: