Monday, June 4, 2018

June 4 – “Hair-ly confident”

I was approached by a parishioner after church yesterday.  Now, understand up front … that happens a lot.  People have a lot of reasons for wanting to touch base with the pastor after a church service.
On the fly counseling.
To encourage me about the teaching being good or to share something they learned from it.
To ask a question about some upcoming church activity.
To request special prayer for someone or concerning some situation in their life.
To make a comment about something they read in my blog the past week.
To shake their head side to side and ask – again – if I am positive that I make up the Visual Verses myself, and if so, have I ever been in counseling for it.
Or maybe to query about where we might be going out to eat, although word has gotten around that Chris is the one to talk to about that decision.

So it was not so unusual for someone to approach me.  In this particular case, I recognized her right away.  She is a Seaside regular.  She also cuts my hair.  So that’s how I greeted her, jokingly, of course … “Hi there yes I know I need a haircut.”  I know there are no commas in that quotation.  There were no commas in my greeting, either.  The thing is, she replied immediately.  No, what would be faster than immediately?  Instantly.  That’s it.  She replied instantly, without missing a beat, “I know you do.  I have an opening on Tuesday morning at 10.  Can I put you down?”  After a quick calendar check I told her I would take it.  She smiled, said “OK,” and turned to walk away.  But I called her back.  “Wait,” I wondered.  “Is that why you were coming up here, just to tell me I needed a haircut?”  Her reply?  “Yes.  See you Tuesday morning.”

Hmm.  Guess I look shaggier than I thought.  It’s great to have people to look after me like that.  Now if I can just find someone to lay my clothes out on the bed like my Mom and Nani used to do …

Philippians 1:6 says, “Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.”

Father, thank you for expressions of koinonia.  They can sure take unexpected forms.  Amen.

No comments: