Friday, June 15, 2018

June 15 – “Dream of the century”


How’s this for a dream of the century candidate?  How about dream of the decade?  Would you believe, dream of last night?

The Astros were ahead 10-0 at the end of the second inning in California, so I went on to bed at 10 p.m.  Later that night I had a dream.  In my dream, I woke up (I know … weird number one, right?  And never a good thing to dream about.  You end up really tired from lack of sleep) and checked the app on my phone where I follow the play by play action when I can’t get to a television (MLB At Bat).  It informed me that the Astros had been overtaken by the A’s and were losing 13-12.  What?  How could that be?  The World Champs can’t blow a ten run lead. 

Suddenly I was jolted by a sound.  A familiar sound.  Distant at first, but then … Yep.  It was the actual app on my real phone alerting me that something had happened in the Astros game.  Groggily, I glanced at the clock.  Nearly midnight.  But now I couldn’t just let it pass.  I had to check and see how the ‘Stros could possibly have lost a 10 run lead.  And more importantly, how could I already know about it?  Cautiously I picked up my phone.  Sure enough the game report was showing.  But wait.  The score was not 13-12.  Not even 10-0.  But the Astros were still well out in front.  11-3 as I recall.  I watched a little more closely for a while, since I couldn’t get right back to sleep.  Didn’t want them to lose any more ground because of my lack of presence.  Finally, the young pitcher they just called up from the minors struck out the side in the bottom of the ninth.  Game over.  Final score 13-5.  At least it was the final if I was really awake …

Psalms 68:34 says, “Proclaim the power of God, whose majesty is over Israel, whose power is in the skies.”

Father, dreams can be really fun things.  But I suppose you know all about that, since you … well, created them … and have used them to communicate for years.  But thanks for the just-for-fun ones, too.  Amen.

No comments: