Monday, June 11, 2018

June 11 – “GobblegobblehicCAW”


We had some highly unusual experiences with sounds this past week.  When we went fishing Zak and Micah were distracted by some unusual, high-pitched, agitated-sounding screams coming from the other side of the marsh.  They had no idea what that horrendous racket could be.  I assured them it was birds, but they didn’t believe me for some reason.  It wasn’t until Mr. Kenny explained that across the marsh lived an entire pride of peacocks that they shook their heads in utter amazement.  Hey, I looked that up.  A bunch of peacocks can be called a pride, a muster, or my personal favorite … an ostentation.  That last one really fits.  Ostentatious means flamboyant or showy.  I guess it refers to their looks, but if you have ever heard one screech, that’s pretty ostentatious as well. 

Now the second most obnoxious noise in my life this week came not from a bird or even a grandchild.  This one came from Chris’ phone.  She uses her timer when she is watering the grass, so it goes off every fifteen minutes or so.  And when it proclaims the time is up, it does so with the grace and elegance of a turkey with the hiccups.  Something along the lines of “GobblegobblehicCAW.”  Glorious.  I am seriously considering adding it to my repertoire of early morning wake-up wonderments.  Hmm.  Maybe I could try that one on Chris in the morning.

Psalms 68:5 says, “A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling.”

Father, thank you for the wonder of sounds.  Another way you make your world a fascinating and fun place to live.  Amen.

No comments: