Wednesday, February 8, 2017

February 8 – “Delivery”

After water exercise class was canceled (We got an official notification in the mail yesterday.  Even came with a refund check.  And it used words like “we are vacating the pool immediately.  Sounds like somebody was involved in quite the little tiff), Chris made the executive decision that we were going walking instead.  By “executive decision” I mean a decision she makes that carries way stronger weight than any executive order any president has ever signed.  Needless to say … we went walking.  Ended up going two miles, too.  I felt it waking up this morning.

I also made a fire department call.  I was working on the teaching for Sunday when a call came through that there was an actual structure fire happening.  I quickly donned my fire department garb and headed out.  But when I checked the address something very odd came up.  By all rights the map part of the app should have taken me to 37th Street, but it kept insisting that I go to 50th Street.  I was just curious now.  The fire was already out, so I figured the guys were all headed back to the station.  But I wanted to see what this address would lead me to.  And what did I discover?  As I read the map, there should have been a set of apartment-like structures right in the middle of a bunch of old, run-down cotton compress warehouses.  Hope the guys on the truck had an easier time than I did.

I went on by the station since I was out.  I had two baby Bibles I had to deliver to A-shift guys.  The first one was supposed to be working out on the East end of the Island at station two.  I pulled up and noticed that a battalion chief truck was in the driveway.  Sure enough, both on duty chiefs were leaving as I went in.  Not sure what the official reason for their visit was.  I think they were just doing their regular in-person check of the station.  Once I got inside and shook hands all around I realized that the proud new papa was not there.  One of the guys told me they thought he was on C-shift.  Great.  But then I heard another voice from the captain’s office.  How lucky could I get?  The captain on shift that day was none other than the new baby’s grandpa.  He jumped at the chance to personally make the delivery.  It meant he could just show up unannounced to see that grandbaby.  I understand the feeling …

The second Dad was scheduled to be on shift at Central station.  I even stopped by to say hi and double-check with the administrative assistant.  She assured me that she had already seen him earlier in the morning.  Perfect.  I have been trying to get these Bibles delivered for weeks now.  I headed on back to the fire fighters’ rooms and what do I behold?  The station battalion chief was there, but no one else.  They had just left to do some pre-need walk-throughs of structures.  See?  These fire fighters don’t just sit around the station waiting for a call to come through.  There are always preparations they are going through to keep us safe.  But, I was thwarted again.  But this time I decided to trust the chief to make sure young Pops got the Bible for his daughter before she started dating.  Thanks for the assist, Chief.

Colossians 3:16 says, “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God.”


Father, thank you for the never-ceasing preparation the fire fighters do.  Keep them safe.  Oh, and happy.  May they be happy, too.  Amen.

No comments: