Monday, February 20, 2017

February 20 – “I know that guy, but …”

Have you ever had one of those “I know that guy, but …” kind of moments?  I just did yesterday, but let me back up for a moment.  After a really great day at church Sunday – pretty full house with 64 people, then people around every table at dinner on the grounds, and topped off with a haircut (Our resident hair stylist was there again, offering her creative ministry haircuts.  She does the cut and whatever you would have paid her, you instead donate to the church.  She did at least four yesterday, so it is really catching on) – we hurried home, packed up some bags, and headed out for Waco.  Josh’s birthday was the 16th, so this is our birthday trip to see him (And anybody who believes that, let me talk to you about some prime real estate in Upper Montovenia.  Sure it’ll be nice to see Josh and all, but he did just have a brand new baby girl about two months ago …).

The trip was not too bad, if you don’t count the motorcycle wreck on I45 we had to wait for (everybody looked to be OK), or the construction on US290, which is rivaling I45 as the never-ending construction zone for the state of Texas.  We made it to the half-way point with no permanent damage.  Chris certainly earned her Buc-ees stop this time.  And before we even got out of the car I saw a young man who looked just like a guy that Josh used to play soccer with back in the day.  Chris didn’t see him, though, and he was already driving away, so no verification was possible.  Hmm. 

We went inside for the compulsory bathroom break, and as we trekked across the length of the building, we passed another familiar face … now who was that guy?  I know I knew him, but from where?  He was accompanied by a lovely lady and three or four young (maybe junior high age) girls in what appeared to be volleyball uniforms.  They were obviously headed to or coming from an away game or tournament.  We did that enough in our day.  None of them looked familiar, but that guy … I knew him from somewhere.  I asked Chris, but she had already done the zone out of people thing and was focused on the task at hand.  I told her I knew that guy, but …

We went on the bathroom and grabbed something for a quick supper break as well.  All the while I was struggling to place where I had seen that guy.  Had he visited Seaside?  That is always my go-to explanation in cases like this.  But Seaside just didn’t seem like the right connection.  As we approached the register I had just about decided to let it go and not ponder identities any more for the day, I realized that the family just in front of us had girls in volleyball uniforms.  And a Mom.  And … that guy.  Who was he?  I pointed him out to Chris, hoping she could provide some insight, but no.  She had nothing.  And then they advanced to a register and disappeared into the parking lot.  Shortly thereafter we made our purchase and headed for the car as well.  And that’s when it hit me.  Like a ton of bricks fell on my head.  I knew unequivocally who that guy was.  No, it wasn’t from Seaside.  No, it wasn’t from walking around WalMart.  But I had seen that more than just a few times.  In fact I saw him every single time … that the Astros played on TV.  That guy was none other than former major leaguer and current Astros announcer, Geoff Blum.  Chris asked if I wished I had gotten his autograph.  I had a ready reply for that one.  “Oh, That Guy?  Why would I want an announcer’s autograph?”  She then asked, “Didn’t he used to play?”  “Ah, yes,” was my answer, “but sadly, he wasn’t really all that good.”  Sorry, Geoff.  I really like you as an announcer, though.  Go Astros.

1 Thessalonians 5:1-2 says, “Now, brothers, about times and dates we do not need to write to you, for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night.”


Father, thank you for serendipitous encounters.  They are fun.  Amen.

No comments: