Sunday, February 12, 2017

February 12 – “Chili and drones”

I went over to the big chili cookoff in Sea Isle for a while yesterday.  Cailyn was staying with us, but she had softball practice, so Chris took her there.  There seemed to be a pretty good turnout.  At the cookoff, I mean.  They had tents set up with contestants hawking their chili-wares.  Many of the salespeople were dressed up as well.  I saw several in Mexican ponchos and sombreros.  At one tent everyone was wearing crocodile hats.  Their secret recipe had something to do with Cajun ingredients.  Another group was all dressed like pirates.  Before you could taste their chili you had to walk the plank (a 2X4 placed on the ground) and down a jello shot.  I actually never tried any of the chili.  I know, kind of strange to attend a cookoff and never try the goods.  But I know my stomach, and without knowing which of the concoctions were supremely spicy, I wasn’t about to put my interior health at risk.  Seaside’s worship pastor and his band were playing the gig.  Well, when I arrived it was just Jim playing.  His guys were taking a break by manning their tents.  I saw several Seasiders and met a few new folks.  It was a fun time.

From there I stopped by station 8.  A few of the guys were investigating the possible future uses of drone in waging war against a raging fire.  I am absolutely certain that’s what it was.  It never ceases to amaze me when your job has moments where it is actually fun.  I guess that means you have truly found your calling.  I have never watched the operation of one of those drones up close, so I was fascinated.  They showed me all of its ins and outs.  Oh, and it had a camera attached, too, so we could see what it saw on its journeys by watching on a cell phone.  I felt like I was watching Hodgins on Bones.  The little creature flew to the beach and back.  And when it got out of range, a voice declared, “Returning to home,” and it made its way back to the last place its GPS had indicated it was parked.  It could make a circle around the property, mapping the premises.  It even followed the guy with controller without him doing anything.  I asked if they ever hit high wires or anything.  He told me that some of them have built in obstacle avoidance systems, but his did not.  He was pretty good at avoiding wires and houses on stilts.  He did take it down the street where some workmen were on a new building site.  They obviously enjoyed the break and knew they were being watched.  Hey, there’s another drone usage possibility, all you straw bosses out there.  The battery had a twenty minute life span, and when it reached ten percent capacity it automatically returned to the home base GPS position to get recharged.  Wow.  Sounds like a commercial for an exciting new toy.  But remember, I’m describing a potential tool for work, right?

Colossians 4:5 says, “Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity.”


Father, thank you for the folks I got to see at the cookoff yesterday.  And thanks for the chance to take to the fire fighters.  Help them all to be happy today.  Amen.

No comments: