Friday, February 24, 2017

February 24 - “Retiring Robinson”

Yesterday I attended a retirement celebration for Galveston’s reigning Fire Marshal, Gilbert Robinson.  He has worked with the fire department for thirty-six years and has been fire marshal since 2001.  In Galveston (Or I guess, anywhere) that is quite an accomplishment. City Council even got into the act by recognizing his service, and there was an impressive crowd on hand to show support and encouragement.

Trish, the fire department administration assistant, did her usual admirable job of pulling together the reception that followed council meeting.  There was plenty of food and drinks, and the ever-present Nora was taking a boatload of pictures to document the event.  Fire marshal representatives from numerous area departments were there to congratulate Gilbert.  I know I saw guys from Santa Fe, Texas City, and League City, and I’m sure there were plenty of others whose logos I didn’t recognize.  Just about every fire crew on duty yesterday made it a point to stop by and pay their respects, along with a few who were off duty.  And from everything I could tell, Gilbert seemed to have the respect of not just the fire fighters, but also the city administration and the people of the city.  That is no easy accomplishment, either.

On a personal note, every time I have had contact with Gilbert he has been warm and encouraging, from the first time I was introduced to him as chaplain.  At fire scenes he has been the consummate professional.  I have seen him talking with fire victims and gently sharing options with them.  Then he turned around and spoke with authority to the power or gas company representative.  And then he could revert to friendly colleague mode when checking in with on-scene fire captains or battalion chiefs.  He could also relate with ease when reporting to the fire chief.  I have seen him in teaching mode, too.  He once took the time to explain to me some of the basics of what to look for to determine where a fire probably began.  And I have heard him share the basics of fire safety to a group of youngsters at the annual fire safety poster contest awards presentations. 

I’m glad I had a chance to encounter Gilbert Robinson.  I’m looking forward to working with new fire marshal Chris Harrison.  Chris, looks like you have some pretty big shoes to fill, my friend.

1 Thessalonians 5:12-13 says, “Now we ask you, brothers, to respect those who work hard among you, who are over you in the Lord and who admonish you.  Hold them in the highest regard in love because of their work.”


Father, may Gilbert find the rest he has earned and the new task you have for him to tackle with your help.  Amen.

No comments: