Sunday, February 5, 2017

February 5 – “You gotta dream”

After an aborted trip to the library, Christina and her kiddos came over yesterday to spend some time with their highly favored grandparents.  The library problem came when they arrived and Christina realized she had forgotten all of their library cards.  That meant no checking out this time, so they just looked at some books there for a while. 

Of course there were certain protocols in place when they arrived here.  First order of business was for all of them to grab a snack from Nana’s horde of wonderful snacks in the pantry.  Fruit snacks, pop tarts, and Cheez-its were the optimal choices of the day.  And of course all the snacks were just intended to hold them over until the pizza could be ordered and picked up.  Oh, and this particular visit was met with another special request from Noa.  Cailyn was invited over to play while they were here.  She did make it for about 30 minutes or so.  She had softball practice to get to, though, so she couldn’t stay long.

It was the pizza run that was the source of the grandchild anecdote of the day.  Josiah went with me to pick up the goodies, and on the way he shared with me his innermost, heartfelt desires.  It seems that he is saving up his money from birthdays and anything else he can get.  He has something very special in mind, too.  From his own mouth his priorities are as follows.  See if you can read it all in one breath.  That’s all he needed to say it …
“Hey, DadDad?  Guess what?  I’m saving my money up.  I have some money now.  I don’t know how much, but I have some and I’m saving it all up and I’m gonna get something with it when I have enough.  And do you know what I’m gonna get?  Well, I’m pretty sure that I’m gonna get a Samsung phone.  They’re the best for the games I want to get.  Or maybe I’ll get a Lamborghini.  Yeah, that’s what I really want to get.  Or an iPad.  I need one of those, too.”  And after a very brief pause to catch his breath he added with a sigh, “Or maybe I’ll just get some transformers that want.” 
Whew.  That was a mouthful of dreams for a six-year-old.  But you gotta dream.

Colossians 3:12 says, “Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.”


Father, thank you for the wonder of dreaming.  Amen.

No comments: