Sunday, February 26, 2017

February 26 – “Happy birthday, Kel”

Had to start out the blog today with a shout out to my oldest son.  And by oldest I mean, officially - really, really old.  That kid turns forty today.  Yep, the big 4-0.  Seems like just yesterday … wait a minute.  No it doesn’t.  Seems like a long time ago.  We still lived in Houston, as in we hadn’t moved away from our college town roots as of yet.  We did leave and then return to Houston later on in time for Josh to be born there.  But this time we were just a couple of young knuckleheads, head over heels in love.  I was embroiled in the throes of a church basketball tournament.  We were pretty good, too.  I remember I had the check to pay our entry fee for the tournament.  Forgot to turn it in at our Friday evening game.  But not to worry.  I would get it taken care of the next morning for sure.  That night after the game we entertained some of the kids on the team (read here, gave them food).  And when they left I managed a sneaky “before” photo of Chris turned sideways.  Not the most flattering of pictures, of course, but important to have one for posterity.  Nowadays everybody takes pictures like that.  Guess I was just ahead of my time. 

I don’t remember much about the actual birth.  I seem to recall coming out to the waiting area to inform our waiting family that the youngster was another Vaughan boy.  Beyond that it’s all a blur.  They didn’t do ultrasounds to determine the baby’s sex way back in the Dark Ages of the 70’s.  That would be the NINETEEN seventies.  Forty years ago.  Besides, we loved the surprise factor.  Good thing, too.  Because the surprises have never stopped.  Soccer and basketball.  Penguins and Eagles.  Umm.  I started to list some girlfriends’ names.  Thought better of it.  HBU and APiK.  A church for people who hate church.  Baptists and EFree’s.  Lifeway and … the Post Office.  Christina and … here it comes … Jachin, Micah, Josiah, Noa, and Ezra. 

That kid has had quite the life.  Gotta say I am proud of him.  Enjoyed having you around these past 40 years, son.  Let’s do a few more.  We love you.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 says, “Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.”


Father, thank you for our first born son.  Make him happy.  Amen.

No comments: