Tuesday, January 3, 2017

January 3 – “A little spice”

Woke up to it being a little chilly this morning.  61 degrees chilly.  That’s about nine degrees colder than I’m used to around here.  It’s supposed to warm back up later in the day, though.  Guess I’ll just be forced to wear a windbreaker to water exercise class this morning.  Tough life.

In spite of the extended New Year holiday yesterday, I spent much of the day working as I would any Monday.  Trying to get that jump on next Sunday’s worship service and teaching.  We did take a few breaks to help Chris finish up the Christmas de-decoration process.  I took down the outside lights and boxed them all up.  As far as I can tell, all we need to do now is haul them back up into the attic.  That will be no easy task, either.  Well, it used to be.  But I can already feel some creaky, cranky muscles barking at me at just the thought.  Ah, well.  I’ll get them warmed up at water exercise.  Then let them calm down a bit afterward with a rest.  Then I’ll see if they have it in them to tackle the attic.  Sounds reasonable to me.

We also fit in a run to WalMart.  Had to pick up some bananas and light bulbs.  While we were there I snuck a movie or two into the basket.  Chris wouldn’t let me buy any before Christmas.  The rule around here has always been “No buying anything for yourself between Thanksgiving and Christmas.”  Just in case, you know.  I tried to explain that a movie is something everyone can enjoy, not just me.  Great logic, right?  Didn’t fly.  She did get me that Tom Hanks movie “Sully.”  We haven’t watched it yet.  I didn’t get any others, though.  Well, until yesterday’s treat.  I got Suicide Squad and Ben Hur.  Opposite ends of the spectrum, I know.  We watched Suicide Squad last night.  Odd.  At least they portrayed Joker as absolutely crazy.  The other guys weren’t really in the comics I spent most of my time reading.  The ones here reeked of Gotham City and Batman.  As I understood it, this movie takes place right after the last Superman movie where he supposedly dies.  As a result evil is once again running rampant.  People are scared of meta-humans (thank you to the Flash series for that term) and what they MIGHT do.  Come on, people.  Don’t make it a problem until it becomes a problem.  Oh, wait.  Hollywood.  I forgot.

Philippians 2:12-13 says, “Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed — not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence — continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.”


Father, thank you yet again for fantasy and imagination.  They really add spice to life.  Amen.

No comments: