Wednesday, January 25, 2017

January 25 – “A Shattering Incident”

Day two of the TV Commercial poster boy for upper respiratory drug therapy has come and gone.  There were definitely moments when I felt way worse than any time the day before. 

Cailyn spent the night with us last night.  I had to do my best to keep my distance from her.  Meanwhile, Chris showed that she really loves me.  She stayed home from ladies Bible study at church.  Not so much to take care of me as to entertain Cailyn.  They were both sweethearts, though.  Cailyn was going to feed me supper in my recliner.  I made my way to the table, though.  They worked together to make the meal.  Chicken strips and gravy and black eyed peas.  A veritable feast.  Cailyn said a very sweet prayer and included me in it.  And after the meal, her sweetness continued.  She cleared off the entire table.  She did a great job right up until she was about to set down the last bowl.

Apparently she felt a sneeze coming on, so she did what pretty much everybody does in that situation, she jumped.  And that last bowl went down.  Shattered into a million pieces.  I don’t think even Abby from NCIS could put this one back together.  Cailyn was barefoot at the time, so Chris hollered at her to freeze.  I reached her and convinced her to climb onto my back.  Once out of harm’s way, she grabbed Freddy to protect her.  One bowl.  No blood.  That’s a win around here.

About the time Cailyn went to bed, I started alternating between cold shakes and being hot as a firecracker.  My head throbbed right behind my right eye.  I put on my brand new Ho Ho Ho long sleeved pajamas.  Painful.  Aggravating.  Frustrating.  But through it all I kept trying to convince myself to just make it through the night.  Why?  Because “joy comes in the morning,” even if only for a few hours.

Colossians 1:15-16 says, “He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.  For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him.”


Father, thank you for the hours of respite you give in the morning.  Amen.

No comments: