Saturday, January 28, 2017

January 28 – “Print Shop”

After receiving another email order for one of the Visual Verses books, I had to spend some time over the last two days printing some more copies.  I figured up that it costs me less to buy the toner and paper and binding materials and do the printing myself, than it would to have it printed at Office Depot.  They charge eleven cents a page for black and white copies – one-sided.  Two sided is more expensive than that.  I would have to charge $25 a book just to break even.  As it is I’m hard pressed to get all expenses covered just charging $20, and I feel bad charging more than $15. 

On the positive side, though, I had to go back to Office Depot to get some more printer toner.  And to my surprise I stumbled upon some serious deals.  I took a coupon with me for $10 off a $50 purchase.  I knew I would hit that because the plan was to also buy a case of paper.  The paper was drastically reduced from $55 to $17 a case.  They had an in-store coupon on the desk for buy one, get one half price on hp toner cartridges.  And when she rang up the purchase, I also received a 20% discount from somewhere.  No idea where that came from.  The whole purchase knocked almost $50 off the price.  Not bad.

When I got back I changed out the black toner that was running low, and the very first run I noticed that the pencil sketches were coming out green, then a vomit-yellow color.  Only one thing that could be.  Fortunately I had a tri-color toner cartridge on hand and changed it out.  Back to good as new.  I now have five completed copies of the book ready for distribution.  Also have two more that have been printed, but I ran out of the binding covers.  Guess there is yet another Office Depot trip in my future.  It’s not easy running a print shop.

Colossians 2:5 says, “For though I am absent from you in body, I am present with you in spirit and delight to see how orderly you are and how firm your faith in Christ is.”


Father, thank you for the folks who are interested in the book in the first place.  May it help them have some fun with Scripture as they get it into their lives in a surprising way.  Amen.

No comments: