Sunday, January 29, 2017

January 29 – “Twinkle-finger magic”

We made yet another trip over to Office Depot yesterday.  I needed some more covers for the last of the Visual Verses books I printed up.  I have a total of seven now available.  Well, one of those has been spoken for, so make that six.  I’m planning to take a few up to the church this morning.  Maybe someone will be interested after we do a verse during worship. 

You know, we’ve been spending so much time at Office Depot lately that I grew fearful that WalMart was going to get jealous.   Can't have that.  So we went there, too.  Actually I needed a certain prop for the sermon introduction.  Can’t say what yet.  Don’t want to spoil the surprise for you Seasiders who check in here before getting to church.  We also needed some bananas, and I picked up some more cough drops.  The cough is much better (I actually slept through from around 11 until my alarm went off at 6.  It’s been a long time since that has happened), but I want to have some backup going into the sermon this morning. 

When we got home I did some practicing on my uke.  This advanced class I signed up for starts in two weeks, and I’m afraid it may be a lot more than I anticipated.  I ordered the book online and have been slowly working through it.  Thing is, right off the bat they want us to do that picking stuff.  That means I may be forced to try to learn some of that music theory junk.  You know, what finger goes on which string so you can try to find said string and pluck just that one while simultaneously looking ahead to see where the next note is on the little set of lines, wrack your brain to remember what it is, so you can switch finger positions and go back the plucking again.  Oh, I know it can be done.  I’ve seen those really big guys play on Hawaii 5-O.  I just don’t know that it’s the best use of my poor old fat arthritic fingers.  It’s certainly not what I intended when I started out.  I just want to learn chords so I can play “Happy Birthday to You” or “I’m a Nut” or some of the other such classics of the musical realm.  Well, and maybe a praise song or two would be nice.  You people better appreciate it on Sunday morning when your praise guys start playing.  Especially when they start with all that twinkle-finger magic …

Colossians 2:6-7 says, “So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.”


Father, thank you for the dedication it took our praise team guys to learn all the chords and finger movements so that they can lead us to worship you.  Amen.

No comments: