Tuesday, January 10, 2017

January 10 – “No dog in the hunt”

OK.  OK.  I know.  I heard.  I missed the best part of the “game of the century” last night.  But I have already watched the highlights on my phone’s ESPN app.  My age and lack of interest in rooting for either side got the better of me last night.  When Chris headed for bed about midway through the third quarter of the National Championship football game, I joined her.  It’s really hard to stay motivated when you’re sleepy anyway, and you really don’t have a dog in the hunt (or is it “in the fight”?  I know there’s a saying that goes something like that.  Means you aren’t rooting for anyone in particular, so you don’t care who wins).  But then this morning when I woke up and checked the score I find that the last two or three minutes was worth sitting through the whole game after all.  First Alabama scored to take the lead.  Then Clemson scored with just seconds left to retake the lead and win the game.  Exciting stuff.  So now on to college basketball.  Road to the final four.  Baylor is ranked number one.  I imagine Waco is happy to have something to root for while their football program is being refurbished. 

After I worked most of the day yesterday, I took a break and went through the boxes of books I received from my brothers Saturday.  Those guys have … how should I say it? … quite the eclectic reading propensity.  There were books by Jeff Foxworthy next to textbooks on oncology.  There were tomes of sociological research and classics of literature.  They even threw in some computer games and Xbox games for good measure.  Thanks, brothers, for thinking of me during your downsizing. 

Philippians 3:20-21 says, “But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body.”


Father, thank you for my brothers.  Walk with them, and their families.  Amen.

No comments: