Wednesday, January 11, 2017

January 11 – “Movie review”

Yesterday we went to Randall’s to pick up a prescription for the first time since we went on the Samaritan Ministries Health Share Plan instead of insurance.  They (or I guess now it’s “we”) use a discount card for prescriptions, so I had no idea how much it would cost.  It was with fear and trembling that we waited in line to see what the monthly damage would be.  Finally our turn came and the clerk punched us into the system.  She didn’t bat an eye as she began to ring it up.  Could it be that she is that calloused to the prices of drugs nowadays?  I finally couldn’t hold it back any longer.  “How much did it come to with the discount card,” I asked hopefully.  “Oh, sorry,” she replied.  “$18.02.  Is that an OK discount for you?”  “Oh, yes, it is,” I replied.  “That’s a very OK discount.”  I will take it.  Score one for Samaritan Ministries.

Chris invited me out on a date yesterday, too.  How’s that for a good day?  We went to see the new Star Wars movie, Rogue One.  Spoiler alert.  I thought it had a very slow start.  I understand that it had to introduce a host of new characters, and I haven’t even tried to find out anything about those characters in advance (I didn’t do my movie homework.  Shame on me).  Honestly, though, I was having a really hard time staying awake.  Of course, I always have a hard time staying awake at theater movies.  I think it has something to do with turning all the lights off.  Now they did get around to some intense battle scenes, which increased the quality a hundredfold.  The cameo appearances were fin as well.  They helped isolate the time period where the movie fell.  Oh, who were the all-star guests?  Well, one was not a who, but rather a what.  The Death Star.  It was kind of the star of the show.  And of course with the Death Start comes its commander as well as the infamous Darth Vader.  One quick scene raced past R2D2 and C3PO having one of their perennial arguments.  But the one that was supposed to surprise us all, especially in light of current events, was the appearance of none other than Princess Leia.  And not the aging General Leia we saw in the last Star Wars movie.  Nope.  This was the beautiful young princess receiving the message about the Death Star’s weakness that she sent via R2D2 messaging.  I guess we were supposed to gasp and say, “How did they do that?”  Was it film splicing (Do they even still use film?)?  Was it CGI (Or whatever those letters are)?  But we have been exposed to the miracles of Hollywood for too long, I guess.  Didn’t even phase me.  How else would they have ended it so it fits into the time line? 

Now here comes the real spoiler alert comment.  Those of you who know me, know that my usual description of any movie I see that someone else hasn’t seen is invariably the same.  Genre doesn’t matter.  It could be anything from Gone with the Wind to Insurgent, my answer is always the same.  “They all die in the end.”  Now, it is from that history that I make this final statement about Rogue One.  They all die in the end. 

Philippians 4:1 says, “Therefore, my brothers, you whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, that is how you should stand firm in the Lord, dear friends!”


Father, thank you for my wife and our date yesterday.  Always a great adventure.  Amen.

No comments: