Sunday, September 4, 2016

September 4 – “Suddenly”

We went to a funeral yesterday.  Well, a memorial service, actually.  A very sweet lady who apparently left some marching orders.  There was to be nothing boring or overly depressing allowed.  Oh, and no dressing up to the hilt, either.  Tish wanted a celebration that was simple and easy on the heart.

We sang a series of old hymns that were among her favorites, accompanied by a single guitarist.  Then I was asked to read the blog post that I had done in her honor.  My allergies have been kicking in at inopportune times lately, so at one point I started coughing.  The pastor brought me not only a bottle of water, but also an entire table to set it on.  I didn’t want to disappoint him, so I sipped on the water and leaned on the table as I finished reading the tribute to Tish. 

Next her two granddaughters came to the podium, and one of them read a beautiful letter she had written to her grandmother.  It was humbling to be allowed a brief glimpse into a truly intimate relationship.  That was followed by a reading of the obituary by a young man who I think was her grandson.  Then the pastor shared the gospel with a simple, engaging style.  Next came a video tribute of photos the family had selected.

As the slide show ended we thought the service had wound to its close as well.  The pastor approached the mic for the closing prayer.  But before he could begin, Tish’s husband Chico suddenly stood to his feet and made his way to the mic as well.  He obviously had something to say.  A hush fell over the crowd as we waited for his words.  Along with his thanks to us all for attending, it seems he had a new respect for the word “suddenly.”  See, he had been hit with a “suddenly” earlier in the week that changed everything for him.  Chico quite eloquently challenged everyone to put right any relationships they have that are strained or broken, especially with family.  “Remember,” he warned us, “’suddenly’ can creep up on you before you know it.”  Best sermon I’ve heard in years …

1 Corinthians 13:4-7 says, “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.”


Father, I again ask that you watch over Chico and Cyndi and Traci and their family.  I love those guys.  I know you do, too.  And help me and my family to avoid the “suddenlies.”  Amen.

No comments: