Saturday, September 17, 2016

September 17 – “RA news and 3-year old wisdom”

Well, the big trip to the RA doc has come and gone.  He reviewed all the most recent blood tests and x-rays.  He did another physical exam.  He pointed out several things to his “young colleague” (read here “medical resident”).  And finally he sat on the exam table (I was in a chair nearby) and asked if I had any questions.  All I needed to know practically related to prescriptions, so he quickly answered those issues and turned to Chris and asked if she had any.  She was more bottom-line oriented, and put him more into the position of telling us from his perspective what he thought about my case.  He took a deep breath, threw in a few disavowals to protect the innocent and cover all the possibilities that he could not know about in my previous care, and finally uttered, “If you had RA, it is no longer active.  Come back and see me in four or five months, sooner if you have problems, and we’ll check where you are then.”  So there you have it.  I keep taking some of the medications and some of them now become “as you need it” kinds of doses.  Sounds like a plan to me.  Sounds like over the last month without the miracle drug or a specific RA doctor that another Doctor was doing His work.

We had the patter of little (and sometimes not so little) feet around the house yesterday.  Kel and Christina went on a date, so their children came over to hang out.  We had pizza, of course (that’s a tradition), and they played hide and seek outside, rode bikes, and then adjourned to the air conditioning when the mosquitoes started biting Nana.  Inside they played some weird board games that I still don’t completely understand using tiny little action figures that they have to buy separately (great sales gimmick).  Oh, and you can’t forget the ever-popular game of baseball in the kitchen.  That can get pretty rowdy, and it’s loud, but at least it makes sense to me.  Noa was content to play with her dolls and her Nana.

Speaking of Noa, she wins the award for cutest things said for the evening.  At one point she was obviously engaging in some kind of seemingly random activity, so Chris asked what she was playing.  She answered matter-of-factly, “Scops Foot.”  Of course.  I took a stab at it and guessed hopscotch, so Chris tried again, “What’s this game called?”  Noa thought for just a few seconds before answering, “Corn.”  OK.  My bad.  I thought it was hopscotch.  Greatest answer ever.  Her linguistic coup de gras, though came when she suddenly jumped down from the table and announced that she had to go peepee.  We encouraged her to take appropriate action on that front.  She ran a few steps toward the bathroom, then stopped, dead in her tracks.  She turned to me with a very serious look on her face and explained, “My Mommy says when my zagina says I have to go peepee, I should hurry to the potty.”  Well, by all means … hurry.

2 Corinthians 3:16 says, “But whenever anyone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away.”


Father, thank you for the good news on the RA front.  And thanks for the refreshing looks at life that youngsters never fail to provide.  Amen.

No comments: