Wednesday, September 21, 2016

September 21 – “The Dumpy Little Fisherman”

As we left water exercise class yesterday morning I noticed I had another text from Bob.  I knew where this was going.  Sure enough he informed me that the Gulf was flat again.  And as we drove home I could see with my own eyes just how right he was.  In fact, I would say it was even flatter than the day before.  Absolutely Lake Galveston flat.  OK.  At this point I will admit I went out, but just for an hour or so, and I didn’t get any live bait.  Just lures.  Several reasons on that.  I didn’t have the money for two bait purchases in one week.  And I fed all but two of my treble hooks to the catfish the day before.  So … lures.  And of course this would be a day when the lures didn’t lure anything.  Ah., well, such is the fisherman’s life, I suppose.  There will be a next time.

I spent the rest of the day at the computer working.  Thursday night Bible Study preparation.  Walk-through of the Book of Genesis.  This week Jacob has to find a wife.  And then I moved to the teaching for Sunday.  Peter has to defend his decision to obey God and let Gentiles into the church.  Still working on that one.  Will be the rest of the week.  Chris, as is her custom, worked on a quilt.

When Chris left for Ladies Bible Study at the church last night, I went over to Randall’s to pick up two prescriptions called in by my new rheumatologist.  Well, by his resident.  One was fine.  Celebrex generic.  Haven’t taken the generic before.  And I haven’t had an actual prescription in years.  I have been on the free program through the drug company, all set up by the other doctor.  So we’ll see how it works with my new-found greatly reduced joint pain.  The other prescription was, however, wrongly written.  Something about the dosage being half of what I have been taking.  Our awesome pharmacy staff at Randall’s caught it, though, and promised to clear it up with the doctor’s office.  From there I went over to WalMart to pick up a few things.  Important things, of course.  Fruit.  Dog food.  Toothpaste.  Fishing hooks.  Hey, now.  Remember, I fed all but two of my precious treble hooks to the catfish the other day.  Oh, and I picked up another cheap pair of sunglasses for fishing and a strap to hold them on.  I could barely see out of my old ones.  So now when you drive by WalMart and see my old blue truck parked there, look out upon the wide expanse that is the Gulf of Mexico.  When you see the dumpy little fisherman with the whitish-gray beard, floppy hat and red sunglasses strap, that would be me.

2 Corinthians 4:6 says, “For God, who said, ‘Let light shine out of darkness,’ made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.”


Father, thank you for the staff at Randall’s and their help on those prescriptions.  And I do appreciate it when they remember my name.  Amen.

No comments: