Saturday, September 10, 2016

September 10 – “Scouting Trip”

We made a trip into Texas yesterday.  Way into Texas.  We drove to Waco for no particular reason other than we had a brief window to go see a few grandkids and their parents.  Well, after we got there Chris took a look at what’s brewing just outside the Gulf, and we decided maybe this was a scouting trip for a potential evacuation, or another hurrication.  There are three of those waves trying to decide if they are going to gain strength and make us a visit.  We’ll have to keep our eyes on the Gulf for the next week or so.

The boys seemed pretty happy to see us.  Josh and Christi hadn’t told them we were coming.   And yes, it was still just “the boys.”  AnnaGrace isn’t scheduled to make her appearance until early December.  Luke was at Mother’s Day Out and Zak and Caleb were at their homeschool co-op.  We picked up Luke first, and I rode in the back next to his car seat.  And he talked the entire way to get his brothers.  I did learn from him that his family apparently eats out a lot.  He invited me to go to Chuck E Cheese.  He informed me as we passed two different restaurants that they had eaten there.  And then he started.  “We go there, too,” pointing to a Quality Inn.  “We go there.”  Best Western.  “I go peepee in a cup.”  Well, that’s random, but admirable, I suppose.  “We go there.”  A nursing home.”  “There my fire station.”  “I count.  1-2-3.”  “I go in there.”  A Methodist church.  By the time we picked up the older two and made our way to pick up Josh at the church I was exhausted.  That little guy has been all over Waco if anyone needs a tour guide.  I think the highlight of his day came, though, when he went with Josh and me to get Josh’s car towed to the auto repair shop.  It developed some kind of transmission problem in the church parking lot.  Luke was fascinated by the real live tow truck.  The sweet but gnarly, old tow truck driver already had the car hooked up and ready to go when we arrived.  Gotta love it when a cartoon (TowMater) comes to life in the real world.

I know I didn’t say much about Zak and Caleb this time, but they were doing great, too.  Caleb has started Little League baseball, so he is getting a glimpse of a tougher world than the YMCA league.  Zak was busy writing a book that he started during one of his favorite periods of the entire day at co-op … study hall.  “You can do whatever you want in there as long as you don’t make any noise.”  Christi and AnnaGrace both seem to be healthy and happy.  Luke told his Mom last night a she rolled a hot wheels car across her stomach that AnnaGrace makes a good hill.  Josh is working hard to manage a fairly large corporation (read here, a big church) and still have time to prepare sermons, spend time with his wife and love on his kids.  Guess we’ll get out of their hair here in a bit.  But maybe we can wait until after I get some donuts …

1 Corinthians 15:58 says, “Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.”


Father, thank you for happy children.  Help me to be one, too.  Amen.

No comments: