Saturday, September 3, 2016

September 3 – “The new Doc”

Yesterday was my day to finally get established with a rheumatologist who is in my new insurance network.  The appointment was made through my PCP three months ago.  That was the earliest one available.  Ah, insurance.  Ain’t it grand?

The visit started out with not one, but two students (Part of the joy of living in a medical school town).  Well, one actual fourth year student who was from Puerto Rico (we saw the patch on his jacket after having to listen very hard to his thick accent), and the other guy was an intern.  They asked every question known to man, of course.  They were impressed by my notebook, though.  It has a pretty complete medical history as it relates to my rheumatoid arthritis.  It helped them get a better handle on my case before they had to report it back to the doc when he came in. 

And I did like the doc.  He wasn’t as personable as my other guy was, though.  Well, by personable I mean he didn’t wear wild-colored bow ties and have skeletons dressed in  boas and ladies hats in the exam rooms.  He did seem to know his stuff, though, and he did a pretty thorough exam.  He ordered some x-rays and blood work and I have to go back in two weeks so we can “discuss it further.”  He is not completely convinced that the issue is rheumatoid arthritis.  That’s a new one.  I can’t wait to hear what he has to say here in a couple of weeks.  Meanwhile, I just keep taking the medications I have now. 

Shrimp and Stuff was our lunch site.  Can’t beat that any day of the week.  Popcorn shrimp dinner.  Delicious.  It even made our obligatory WalMart stop (for dog food) a bit more palatable. 

Now this morning we are heading to Houston for a funeral.  Visitation is at 9 and the service is at 10, so we have to leave early … and it is early.

1 Corinthians 14:20 says, “Brothers, stop thinking like children. In regard to evil be infants, but in your thinking be adults.”


Father, thank you for the fairly pleasant experience with the new doctor.  Give him some wisdom over the next few weeks so he can figure out how best to work with you on helping with the pain and swelling in these old joints of mine.  Amen.

No comments: