Monday, May 9, 2016

May 9 – “Really smooth”

I received an interesting complement at church yesterday.  At least I think it was a complement.  There was a family attending who comes off and on.  This time the three children were all there.  One is a student at Texas A&M Galveston.  He told me he leaves next week for a mission trip to Ecuador with his Dad, who was also there.  Dad explained that he is associated with a group that leads mission trips, mostly into Central and South America, at least once a month.  Their mission statement involves getting people to have boots on the ground on actual mission sites to experience what God is doing.  They even provide funding if someone really wants to go but cannot afford to pay his own way.  We prayed for this upcoming trip.  And the student assured me he would be back to play in our praise team some when he returns to town.  The sister was just accepted to Baylor on a volleyball scholarship.  She starts school May 31st, so she was getting pretty excited.  I asked the younger brother to tell me something about himself, too.  He came up with the fact that he plays football on his freshman team in high school.  Fun family.

This week they also had Grandma and Grandpa with them.  Grandma in particular was enjoying basking in the attention, since I did a Mother’s Day sermon.  She responded to just about every question I asked during the teaching, and they all seemed to be comfortable with the music.  It was after the service that Grandpa came up to me, shook my hand heartily, and made his comment.  It was the only thing I heard him say the entire day.  “Pastor, you were really smooth today.  Which was is the bathroom?”  Well, OK.  I thanked him gave the directions he asked for.  “Really smooth.”  That, I have to admit, is a brand new one for me.  I wonder what it meant to him?

Mark 12:27 says, “He is not the God of the dead, but of the living.”


Father, any time a service is really smooth, I know it’s because your Holy Spirit showed up.  So, thanks for coming.  Amen.

No comments: