Sunday, May 8, 2016

May 8 – “A Mother’s Day Sigh”

And once again it is Mother’s Day.  Always a bittersweet time, no matter who you are.  On the one side you have the excitement and joy and anticipation of a new birth yet to come into the family – our little Number Nine.  On the other there is always that special someone you will sorely miss who cannot be where you are on your special day for whatever reason, whether it be a busy life or a too-soon death.  I know I miss my Mom.

I miss the smile she always had for everyone.  I miss her unwavering support, whether it be attending my Little League baseball game every year on her anniversary or joining us at Seaside even though it was so different from the Grace Episcopal Church she loved.  And she didn’t just attend.  She threw herself into a brand new role, exemplified every time she welcomed a visitor with a big smile and a proud, “I’m the pastor’s Mom.”  I miss seeing her snuggling on the couch with Cailyn as they read a book together.  I miss hearing her ask the boys about their latest craze, even though she had no idea what an X-Box could do or how to recognize off-sides in soccer.  She did, however, know the difference between the Marvel and DC universes.  She was always a Superman kinda gal, but I’m pretty sure Spiderman intrigued her as well.  I miss watching her, even during her struggles with dementia, hold court with visitors in our home and welcome them as if they were the only people in the world for just that single moment.  And then when they left the house, she invariably asked, “Now who was that?”  I miss that, too.  And I guess most of all I miss hearing her laugh.  Not just the chuckle that was always lurking just beneath the surface – the one that usually accompanied the “tsk” of loving disapproval I heard so often as a child.  I miss her full on, “I-love-life” kind of laugh that welled up from her soul and infected everyone around her. 

Do I miss my Mom?  Sure I do.  But it sure is comforting to know she is enjoying snuggles and hugs with her two great-grandkids who no doubt greeted her upon arrival.  Not to mention a heavenly square dance with Dad. 

Exodus 20:12 says, “Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.”


Father, would you say “hi” to my Mom for me?  Thank you for the love I learned from her.  Maybe one day I can approach doing it like she did.  Amen.

No comments: