Thursday, May 5, 2016

May 5 – “Wear purple …”

“The best time to go fishing is when you can.”
I kept repeating that adage to myself over and over again as I stood in the cool waters of the Gulf of Mexico and literally shivered until my teeth chattered every time the Northeast wind blew.  Oh, I caught some fish.  Pretty much what I was hoping for in those conditions – a bucketful of whiting, all good for upcoming fish fries.  I’m just praying that didn’t catch anything else.  This was just not a very relaxing fishing trip.  Productive but not relaxing.  I think I would trade for the latter.  Bring on summer.

I found out yesterday that the Texas governor has declared May to be Fallen First Responder Month.  On May 12th everyone who supports the families of first responders who have died is encouraged to wear something purple.  Closest I have is dark blue.  Ah, well.  We have to go to WalMart later to get some fruit, so I’ll check out their purple stash.  Or maybe I could stop by the spray paint section and just have a do-it-yourself project with one of my old t-shirts.  Or how would I go about doing a purple tie-dye extravaganza?  Wait.  How would I know if it is purple, anyway?  All those blues look alike to me.  Oh, and pinks.  I don’t do well recognizing pinks.  Well, whatever we wear, at least on that day, do your best to remember the fallen first responders and say a prayer for their families.  Or maybe go out of your way to say a creative thank you to a fire fighter or paramedic or police officer.  Surprise them.  Well, maybe don’t surprise the police officer …

Mark 10:27 says, “Jesus looked at them and said, ‘With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God.’”


Father, thank you for the first responders and the sacrifices they make.  Oh, and thanks for the whiting yesterday.  They will taste good.  Amen.

No comments: