Friday, May 20, 2016

May 20 – “On Neighbor Protocol and Vaughan Women”

We had some of those really strong thunderstorm cells pass over the Island yesterday.  lots of rain, and thus lots of water on the ground as it tried to make its way to the Bay.  We had several periods of flickering lights that pretty much got the best of me.  we got the computers turned off with no problem, but every time we thought the worst was over and I reset the clocks, here it would come again.  One time I had just set the last clock down when the lights started kicking off again.  Very frustrating.  We made it through, though, as we usually do.  Even had a few folks show up for home group last night.  Oh, and speaking of home group, I totally forgot to call Jennifer during our prayer time.  That’s on me, Jen.  We did pray for you and your surgery today, though. 

The first part of my day – the part before the rain started – was spent mowing grass.  Not ours.  We finished that task already.  We were just returning Nathan’s mower to him and I decided to surprise him by doing his yard as well.  I’m sure it wasn’t done as professionally as when he does it himself, but at least I presented him with one opportunity to not have to do anything.  Well, except maybe fix any flaws I might have caused.  I also didn’t know his “Neighbor Protocol.”  There is always a Neighbor Protocol when it comes to mowing and edging, you know.  Who is supposed to do what?  How high a lawn mower setting does he prefer?  Where is that imaginary line between properties?  And do you stop there, or is it OK to bleed over and help him out a bit?  Or does he prefer you not help at all because he wants to do it himself?  See what I mean?  There’s a lot more to mowing a lawn in the city than meets the eye.  Hopefully Nathan’s neighbor will still like him.

Now I did make one discovery while I was at Nathan and April’s house yesterday.  If there was ever any hint of a question, any remote wondering, as to whether or not April was truly a Vaughan woman, all that uncertainty was laid to rest.  See, in their garage, mixed in with their shovels and rakes and weedeaters, I finally found, to my utter surprise and shock, a broom.  But not just any broom.  See, it was one of those old-timey straw brooms.  Not that unusual in and of itself.  But the thing is, it only had about three or four inches of straw left.  That, my friends, is truly a Vaughan Woman characteristic.  I have to buy brooms for us all the time because Chris will use them until they are down to the proverbial nub.  You’ve been a Vaughan eight years, April.  If it was ever in doubt, it’s now not.  Don’t let anyone tell you different.  The broom nub has spoken.

Romans 3:23-24 says, “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.”


Father, thank you for the awesome Vaughan women you gifted all three of my sons with.  Amen.

No comments: