Friday, May 13, 2016

May 13 – “Baseball memories”

April shared a Cailyn anecdote with us the other day.  On Mother’s Day Nathan was at work, so April told Cailyn, “We’ll do whatever you want to do today.”  Cailyn pondered such an incredibly open-ended opportunity, weighing her options carefully.  Finally she responded, “Let’s go outside and play catch.”  That’s my girl.  She even wanted to play catch when she and I were both sick the other day and Mom and Dad were both working.  So old DadDad dragged himself out of the recliner and had a quick game of catch with the youngster.  She didn’t last long before she informed me that it was “time to take a break, DadDad.  I think we need some water.”  She was right.  We both grabbed a drink and returned to our respective crash sites.  She probably won’t remember these kinds of days, but I’ll wager April and I won’t soon forget them.

I read in the paper yesterday that Melvin Canales died.  Melvin was the guy who pitched a one-hitter against us in the only Little League all-star game I ever played in.  He was a phenom for sure.  Made us all look silly.  Struck me out twice on a knuckle curve.  Only knew one other pitcher who could throw that pitch: former Galveston mayor Bo Quiroga.  I remember watching Melvin’s team play in the next round.  He was playing third and a runner made his way that far.  The batter hit a ground ball to him.  Melvin fielded it and made a huge effort like he was throwing to first.  But he never let go of the ball.  The runner made an instinctive break for home plate.  And Melvin casually turned around and tagged him out.  Never forgot that play.  I even tried it a few times. 

In Pony League Melvin and I were on the same team.  I was pretty much a shortstop who occasionally pitched.  Melvin could and did play just about anywhere.  In fact whenever I pitched, he was my catcher.  He was great fun to have behind the plate.  Never stopped talking – to the batter, the umpire, even to me.  Imagine how incredibly annoying that must have been to the batters.  Sure kept me loose on the mound, though.  He constantly reminded me that the only reason to play baseball was … to PLAY baseball.  We had a lot of fun. 

So, thanks, Melvin, for some great baseball memories.

Mark 14:38 says, “Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak.”


Father, thank you for memories of the little things.  Comfort Melvin’s family.  Amen.

No comments: