Thursday, November 5, 2015

November 5 – “through the eyes”

Well, I discussed the American judicial system over breakfast yesterday.  With a six-year-old.  See, Cailyn was worried about Nani when she heard she was going to be on a trial ”at the building over by station five where they have the criminals.”  Well, she’s not wrong there.  But before I could launch into my reassurance mode, she continued on. 
“Will there be policemen there, too?” 
Interesting train of thought.  I assured her that there would indeed be plenty of policemen around.  “That’s good,” she replied softly. 
Glad she considered that a positive thing.  She continued to ponder pensively for a long few moments.  Where was her head taking her now?  Finally she continued.  “So she has to answer questions and stuff?” 
“That’s part of it,” I explained. 
“Well, then, will the policemen tell her what to say?” 
“No, that’s not how it works,” I struggled.  “It’s more that she has to listen and help decide who is telling the truth.” 
Again, another bite or two of her waffle afforded her a chance to think.  “So somebody is telling a lie?” 
“Yes.”  I tried to keep it really simple at this point. 
“Well, then he’s the bad guy, right?” 
I carefully considered my answer here.  “That’s what Nani has to help decide.” 
Three more bites of waffle later and the issue was more than settled as far as she was concerned.  “So Nani will be home soon?” 
“It may take a while, but she’ll be here around dinner time tonight.  How’s that sound?”  “OK.  I’ll beat you brushing my teeth!” 
And off she ran. 

Sigh.  If only the judicial system could operate through the eyes of a six-year-old. 

James 1:12 says, “Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.”


Father, give the jurors wisdom to listen and make the right decision.  Amen.

No comments: