Saturday, November 21, 2015

November 21 – “I know what Freddy is …”

A quick update on the infamous Freddy.  First of all, she was at home and doing fine when we returned from our Waco trip a while back.  Apparently she never escaped at all.  Nathan was just kidding around.  At least we think he was kidding around.  Surely he was kidding around.  Does anyone remember seeing a small brown piece of mobile roadkill running around Gulf Village in the last few weeks?  No.  I’m pretty sure he was just kidding.  Always the kidder, that Nathan.  Now before we go to Waco again I think Chris has plans to work with Freddy in earnest on commands.  Like “Stay.” 

So … Freddy.  She is still taking every opportunity to prance around the house with stuffed animals bigger than she is.  She never chews them up (at least she hasn’t yet).  She just cuddles with them.  Actually, I think she just enjoys dominating.  Now she has carried one or two of the smaller ones outside to play with.  Mainly the tiny versions of teddy bears they now make for dolls to play with.  Like dolls can play with stuffed animals.  That’s just a little too creepy for me.  Oh, wait, speaking of creepy doll toys, she did manage to chew up one of Cailyn’s doll’s pacifiers.  And a few of those giant Lego block things.  And Chris did find another one of those tiny doll things in Freddy’s bed.  Thing is, we have no idea where that one came from.  Maybe she did escape just long enough to kidnap a tiny victim and doom it to forever snuggling. 

One more Freddy story … Josiah was over the other day and he had a theory.  He approached me and with all the seriousness he could muster he made a declaration.  “DadDad, I think I know what Freddy is a mix of.”  Now you have to understand that Freddy is the greatest thing to ever hit the floor of Nana and DadDad’s abode.  He carries her around like a sack of flour, and she lets him.  Of course when she gets done and needs some alone time, she has to plan creative escapes.  Well, his comment certainly intrigued me, so I encouraged him to continue.  “I know one of it is Chihuahua.  But I think the other is …”  Not sure why he paused here, but it certainly had the effect of capturing my full attention.  And then he was ready.  Again, all of this was spoken in the absolute seriousness of a five-year-old mind.  “… I think the other is … Tasmanian Tiger.” 

Of course it is.  Why couldn’t I see that?

James 4:2-3 says, “You do not have, because you do not ask God.  When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.”


Father, thank you for the perceptive mind of a child that dares to say what he’s thinking out loud.  Amen.

No comments: