Monday, November 2, 2015

November 2 - "On Kansas City and Courtrooms”

Here’s a quick shout-out to a friend of ours who lives in California but hails originally from Kansas City (the only person I have ever met who actually used to live in Kansas City).  Hey, Josh Pease … “How about them Royals?”  They edged out the Astros to get to the World Series, but I really like the way they play baseball.  I didn’t really have a favorite once the Astros got knocked out, but for the most part I was rooting against the Mets.  Except for when the kid from Mansfield was pitching.  But he won his game.  Oh, and the guy they have who is struggling with spinal stenosis.  Him I wanted to be successful.  Just a certain affinity to other guys with back issues.  Saw him get a double in the Mansfield kid’s game.  So now baseball season is finally over after a 12 inning come from behind victory by the Royals last night.  No, I didn’t watch beyond the tenth.  Past my bedtime. 

Chris will be forced to enjoy these crisp, cool, daylight-infested early mornings with me – at least for this week (My Weatherbug app says it’s 64 degrees outside.  That’s freezing here on the Island.  I’ll have to get out our heavy coats and stocking caps).  She has that grand and glorious experience all lined up for her – the one we all anticipate with bated breath (well, I do, anyway).  Jury duty.  First time in forever she has to go and actually possibly get called up.  Before this she has always been primary caregiver to a child or an aging adult parent.  At least she gets to go to our beautiful new criminal justice center.  Maybe I can have the guys at station five keep an eye out for her if one of the criminals seeking justice somehow escapes his manacles and holds an entire courtroom hostage while demanding a helicopter and two million dollars and laughing maniacally in the process … Sorry.  Too much Gotham on TV, I guess. 

I’m praying for a typical, boring civil trial for her.  Or maybe one like I had  last time I went.  Actually got to the finals and had to cross the ferry to a courtroom in Bolivar … and neither lawyer showed up.  The judge wasn’t too happy, but he excused us all from our term of service as a result.  Ah, well.  Whatever happens, she can handle it with ease. 

James 1:2-4 says, “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.”

Father, give Chris and all those jurors your wisdom to be fair and dispense justice this week.  They have a great model in you.  Amen.


No comments: