Thursday, November 12, 2015

November 12 – “Terrifying”

As we prepare for our journey back to Galveston, here are a few of the random grandchild-speak gems of wisdom that came up over the last few days.

Caleb: “Why did God make you impatient, Mom?”
I didn’t hear Christi’s answer, to be honest.   I am certain it was wise and insightful and worded perfectly on the first grade level.  I’m bet it was really tempting to say something along the lines of, “I don’t know, but hurry up and finish your schoolwork and get dressed and brush your teeth … right now.” 

Again, I don’t remember the whole context of this next interchange, probably because it takes a while for the sounds coming through my hearing aids to focus into intelligible utterances in my brain.  In this case, though, the pain and frustration and utter confusion were so evident in Caleb’s voice that I couldn’t help but react. 
Caleb: “Girls are terrifying.”
Me: “Yes.  They are.”
Caleb: “Well, I’ve learned my lesson.  Girls are terrifying.”
Nani: “Wait.  What girls are terrifying?”
Zak: “All girls are terrifying.”
Right you are, my boys.  Right you are.  Terrifying indeed, but infinitely wonderful.

And then there was the touching moment of the week.  Something happened at church Wednesday night that caused Caleb to be overcome by the power of God.  Sounds kind of funny, saying that about a six-year-old.  His words were something along the lines of:
“God spoke to me here in my heart.”  Ever the dramatic one, both hands clasped over his chest and moved up and down, up and down to make his point.  “It was beating really fast like it was going to come right out of my chest.  He told me he wants me to be someone who takes care of animals, of his creation.”
Well, there you go.  No reason God shouldn’t call someone to a specific ministry when he is six.  I noticed while he was telling us his story that Zak, the ever-rational first-born, seemed to be shaking his head almost imperceptibly from side to side, not in a condescending way, though.  Caleb noticed it, too.  He continued, “And Zakary is sad because God has never told him anything like that.” 

Perceptive little guy.  Well, hang in there, Zak.  God talks to people in different ways and at different times.  And remember what you Dad said, “God is always talking.  We just have to learn how to listen.”

James 1:27 says, “Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.”


Father, thank you for speaking to Caleb on his level in a special way.  Keep on speaking to Zak, too, as he learns to hear you at just the right time for him.  Amen.

No comments: