Sunday, November 22, 2015

November 22 – “On her own”

Cailyn spent the night with us last night.  Always a welcome experience, although she can be a bit high maintenance at times.  Not because she does bad things.  She just likes to be the center of your world.  Of everyone’s world.  She even told me as we were brushing teeth, “DadDad, did you know that I really am a special person?”  Thinking that she just wanted a little encouragement, I hastened to agree with her.  “No, DadDad, you don’t understand.  I really am a special person.  See, Mommy has this thing where I wasn’t supposed to be borned, but I got borned anyway, so I am really special.”  What could I do but agree to that?  Then she added, “That was a really special day when I was borned, wasn’t it, DadDad?”  Oh, yes, it was.  Yes, it was.

At one point she ran to the backyard play.  Within a few seconds we heard a blood-curdling scream.  And it continued.  “Nani!  DadDad!”  We thought she was hurt.  I raced to the back door and there she was, happily swinging.  “What’s wrong?” I asked.  “Oh, you have tell Nani to come see.”  I promised I would, but not wanting to seem uninformed, I asked, “See what?”  Her reply?  “Oh, DadDad, I’m swinging and I started all by myself.”  What?  Swinging on her own?  When did that begin?  Sigh.  Yet another rite of passage attained I suppose.  I asked her, Does that mean you never want me to give you a push again?”  She thought for a long moment before answering, “Well, no, DadDad.  See, sometimes I just like to be pushed.”  Whew.  For a minute there I was afraid she was growing up. 

James 4:4 says. “You adulterous people, don't you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.”


Father, stay close to all of our grandkids as they make their way through the twists and turns of growing up.  Amen.

No comments: