Monday, November 23, 2015

November 23 – “The Gathering”

Quite the motley crew went to lunch together yesterday after church.  I was kind of surprised to be included in such esteemed company.  There were those three stars of any event, the trifecta of adorability, Cailyn, Kortland and Jordan.  Korty and Jordan were flanked by their personal entourage of parental units, and Cailyn’s own roadies appeared as we were about to begin.  They had been on a road trip to the Renaissance Festival, no doubt scouting future appearance sites for their young charge.  I wonder if they dressed up as some are wont to do?  You know, Cailyn did have something to say about her mother’s fashion sense.  She was doing some designing of her own at the table with crayons.  In an effort to make conversation I asked her what her favorite color was.  She informed me that I already knew that one.  OK.  I tried again, asking what hue was most favored by her mother.  For some reason that drew a rise from her focused little mind.  She looked up at me, no, somehow through me, apparently struggling for an answer.  And finally it was there … “Mommy likes every color.  Even camo.  You know, DadDad, that ugly, nasty, green, camo color."  Ah.  So anyone wondering what to get April for Christmas?  How about, well, anything, as long as it is her favorite shade of camo.

Among the older of our company were the indomitable Bryan and Jennifer, wheeling their way into the history books of ankle-dom.  And across from them sat that twinkle-fingered piano tickler Wes.  Well, now Grandpa Wes after the birth of his very first grandchild, a grandSON to be precise.  I had a seat of honor far above my station next to that wonder of wonders, that bastion of baby-care, none other than Mama Chris, herself.  Never ceases to amaze me that I get to sit next to her at such functions.  One would think we have some sort of special connection or something. 

Oh, there was nothing really special about the gathering.  Eating, of course.  Talking well beyond the minimum.  And I suppose we managed to meet the minimum for laughing as well.  Just a group of rogue Seasiders gathering sustenance before continuing on with our respective rowdy routines.  But it was … nice. 

James 4:6 says, “But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: ‘God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.’”


Father, thank you for after-church lunches and a different array of friends to share them with.  Amen.

No comments: