Friday, November 27, 2015

November 27 – “A test for edibl-ility”

I managed to make the rounds of all six fire stations yesterday.  We fried some extra turkeys so we could take some to each of the stations for the guys on duty to enjoy.  As usual they were all appreciative of the expression of our love for them.  None more so, however, than the guys at station four.  They immediately started digging in to the bag to “test it for edibl-ility.”  As I recall, they did the same thing last year.  Finally Kevin admitted that they had been to Kroger earlier in the morning and were horrified to find that they had no turkeys that were already thawed out.  They did get one of those huge spiral hams, but he was aghast to think of Thanksgiving without turkey.  “I’m just a turkey kind of guy,” was his take on the whole matter.  Glad you got some turkey, Kevin.

By the time I got home the meal was pretty much ready and warming in the oven.  All that was left to make was some gravy for the cornbread dressing.  Well, that and … NOBODY HAD ARRIVED.  It was after noon.  I had been up since 5:30.  It was time to eat.  I did my best to tough it out and wait for some family foot traffic, but that just wasn’t working.  I finally succumbed to the delicious aroma and snuck a few chunks of ham to tide me over.  Finally Nathan and Cailyn walked in.  His word of greeting?  “So when do we eat?”  My words of response, “Whenever someone gets here.  Oh, wait.  You’re here.  Let’s eat ... now.”  I guess Chris sensed the urgency in my voice, even though I was in such a weakened state from my too-long imposed Thanksgiving Day hunger.  She began unloading the ovens and making the gravy.  Before she got everything out, Kel got here with almost all of his children.  Josiah had been sick the night before, so he was destined to spend the entire day alone with just him and Mommy.  Broke his heart.  After an obligatory trip to the clinic for a strep test, he was forced to have a Thanksgiving meal at Whataburger.  He discovered the gravy is really good, though.  I understand he finagled a trip to Bucees as well.  Not to mention more Netflix movies than he knew even existed.  I have a suspicion that video games might have been involved in his incarceration repertoire as well.  Poor Josiah.  I think he might just be disappointed to have to come to Nana and DadDad’s today.  After the first round of food was “tested,” Bryan and Jennifer arrived.  And later on April came over after her day’s sleep was done (she works nights at the emergency room).  Rounds two and three and perhaps four of food tasting went well.  Testing for that nasty chemical in turkey that makes you drowsy proved inconclusive.  Nathan and I certainly fell victim to its wily ways.  I suppose everyone else was too interested in the fate of Tony Romo and the Cowboys to give in.  We’ll have to do more testing.  Perhaps around noon. 

I managed to stay awake for most of the Texas Tech vs. Texas football game.  Pretty wild shoot-out.  Lots of scoring.  Tech came out on top.  It was fun.  We closed out the evening by staying awake until Josh and Christi returned from their obligatory Black Friday midnight jaunt to WalMart.  The sales all started at six, but I think there is just something in Christi’s blood that requires a late-night shopping extravaganza at least once a year.  Hope they were successful. 

James 4:15 says, “Instead, you ought to say, ‘If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that.’”

Father, thank you.  Amen.


No comments: