Monday, November 16, 2015

November 16 – “In your court …”

I remembered one other tidbit from that wedding the other night.  Before we got started I duly reported in at the DJ/Wedding coordinator/sound guy table.  He wanted to get my microphone all hooked up and installed in my coat pocket.  Now when I got over there the head guy wasn’t around, but his two assistants were ready to get me taken care of.  As I approached, one of them greeted me with, “Good afternoon, Judge.”  Now that was a new one.  I’ve had “Preacher” and “Rev” and “Pastor” and even “Hey You,” but I can’t say I have ever been nicknamed “Judge” before.  I suppose it could have been much worse.  I nodded politely and greeted him back, waiting for my installation instructions.  And then the interchange began:

Assistant #2: “I’m pretty sure I have been in your court before.”
Me: “I appreciate you opening up to me, but if you were in  my court it was in another universe.  See … I’m not a judge.”
Assistant #1: “But you are civil aren’t you?”
Civil?  Well, I try not to be rude, especially in situations like this. 
Me: I am the chaplain of the Galveston Fire Department, and I am a local pastor.”
Assistant #1 (somewhat incredulously): “Oh, really?  Where?”
Me: “Seaside Church in Jamaica Beach.”
Assistant #2 (the guy who had been in my court): “Oh, I have bee by that place before.  It’s the round one, isn’t it?”
I tried to picture in my mind how Seaside could be interpreted as being in any way round.  Rectangle?  Yes.  Square?  Perhaps.  Round?  Not so much. 
Me: “Maybe you’re thinking of the Catholic church.  Seaside is the building at the light.”
And of course …
Assistant #2: “Oh, yes.  I have been by there, too.” 
Of course you have.

James 3:7-8 says, “All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and creatures of the sea are being tamed and have been tamed by man, but no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.”


Father, thank you for chances to meet new people in unexpected ways.  Amen.

No comments: