Tuesday, October 6, 2015

October 6 – “Cutting edge”

I have a new favorite baseball player name.  He plays for the Arizona Diamondbacks in right field.  Pretty good, too.  But that has nothing to do with why I like his name.  It is just, well, classic.  Socrates Brito.  Doesn’t that just have a certain ring to it?  Kind of Greco-Latin.  And of course the Astros announcers did their best to avoid making fun of the guy, but sadly one of them failed miserably.  In his trademark Texan drawl he wondered aloud if the name was pronounced, “Sew-crates Burrito.”  Somebody saw Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure, didn’t he?  I’ll miss old Socrates when the Astros play the Yankees in the wild card playoff game tonight.

I am now working on a computer with a Windows 10 operating system.  First time I have ever been on the cutting edge of a Windows product, but I got tired of the square that kept popping up in the corner of the screen every single day, telling me that I really needed to download Windows 10 for free while the offer lasted.  I figured it couldn’t be much worse than Windows 8, so I finally went for it.  And the download took all day.  Seriously.  I started it before we left for the library book sale.  I think that was sometime around 8:30.  It was still going when we got back.  I think it finally finished around 2:30.  And then came the interaction time of the actual installation.  You know, the “Do you accept the terms and conditions that we have printed in such small type that we know for a fact you will never read it” and “Push next to continue” commands.  In the grand scheme of things the installation part really wasn’t bad at all.  I just can’t bring myself to load our old computer, though.  It runs slowly anyway.  The download alone would no doubt take three days.  Guess Chris will just have to keep struggling through with Windows 7. 

And finally … the medical bills have begun to arrive.  These are the ones that come after the insurance company has paid all it intends to pay.  The latest was from some hospital in Columbus, Texas.  No, I was never checked in there.  Never had any connection with the place.  Seems they do the billing for Tideway, where I did my water therapy.  Hope they don’t mind setting up a payment plan.  Get in line with everyone else.

Hebrews 4:13 says, “Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.”


Father, be with that kid who was bitten by the shark yesterday.  Amen.

No comments: