Thursday, October 29, 2015

October 29 – “It takes two …”

We returned to dancing class yesterday.  Missed last Wednesday because we had all those grandkids running around here.  We did learn one thing right away.  This kind of dancing is NOT just like riding a bike.  At least not for me it isn’t. 

We started out with the waltz, which is a good thing.  It’s the closest thing to the only kind of dancing Chris and I have done together, so it has always felt somewhat comfortable.  Still has all that required footwork, though.  And the extra-credit moves are fun but really hard to remember.  But I gotta say, those other dances kind of eat our lunch.

Rumba.  Just haven’t learned to be comfortable with that one yet.  We have to count the steps out loud and I have to look at my feet to make sure they are obeying the signals my head is sending.  I got in trouble with the instructor on that.  She was dancing with me to show us how to do it and told me to keep my head up and have fun.  Make a decision, Prof.  Have fun or get the crazy foot movements right. 

We didn’t do any of the swing dancing.  That, of course, is my favorite.  The guy has very little movement other than the simple footwork.  The girl has to do all the swinging and twirling. 

Ah, but they added some stuff on us.  Not sure if it happened last week while we were gone or if they were just saving it up to spring on us when we got back.  But yesterday we were introduced to .. the Cha Cha Cha.  Yep.  Really.  Just like on those antique TV shows.  And the footwork is totally different for that one, too.  If that wasn’t enough, then they pulled out the Tango.  There is really a dance step for that one.  I thought it was just some made up old saying, “It takes two to tango.”  And finally, we had a few minutes left, so they threw yet another new one at us.  Fox Trot.  I thought I was in an old World War II movie.  “Access Code Tango-FoxTrot-ChaChaCha.”  Now I think Fox Trot has possibilities, but we didn’t do it enough to sear the steps into our muscle memory. 

I have gained a whole new respect for my Mom and Dad and that whole era’s ability to dance these steps.  Guess I’ve been pining for my early 70’s, PRE-disco (disco was just silly), free dance style.  But I’m learning.  I’m learning.

Hebrews 13:1 says. “Keep on loving each other as brothers.”
                                  

Father, thank you for the incredible amount of laughter I have heard coming out of Chris’ mouth during these dance classes.  Music to my soul.  Amen.

No comments: