Saturday, October 3, 2015

October 3 – “Indomitable, legendary, teacher-of-Titans …”

I finally had a moment or two when my back wasn’t hurting that bad, so I headed over to make some fire station visits.  I managed to stop by three stations.  All three were either in the process of or had recently completed inventorying the trucks and noting where on each truck all the equipment was located.  Pretty extensive task, but they were all up for the challenge, of course.  As I was leaving station four out at the airport, I realized that it was three o’clock, so I made my way over to Cailyn’s school to say hi before she headed home.  I think my little surprise was effective.  She was actually speechless, which is quite unusual for her.  It rather bumfuzzled her kindergarten teacher, too, when Cailyn hugged me and crawled into the car with her neighbor friend.  I assured her all was well.  She realized I had my fire department garb on, so she let me know her class was going over to station four again in a few weeks.  Said they absolutely loved the experience last year.  That’s a “kudos” to the indomitable, legendary, teacher-of-Titans Trish, of course.  She does an amazing job with the kiddos at those community service programs. 

Speaking of Cailyn, she came over to spend the night last night after a birthday party at a friend’s house.  I think it was supposed to be a slumber party, by 8:00 or so she is usually ready to crash out.  That’s what happens when you get up at 5:30 in the morning.  The host drove her over here (after apparently getting lost and spending some time touring Galveston), and they finally arrived around 8.  She was wound up higher than a kite.  She literally ran laps through the house laughing with Fred close on her tail.  Surely it was all because she was so excited to see us, right?  Couldn’t possibly have anything to do with the requisite sugar high of a birthday party or the inborn drive to fight the urge to sleep that surges in all of us until we become teenagers.  At that point it generally reverses itself and we want to sleep “just a little bit longer.”  And although some of outgrow that phase and become delightful morning people, that particular phase hangs on longer in some people.  They grow up to become delightful, “not-morning” people.  By about 8:30 or so we had convinced her to get dressed for bed and sit on the couch next to Nani and have a snack.  She never finished that pop tart.  Fell sound asleep there on the couch with minutes. 

We began watching the Astros game, and they went ahead early.  Chris gave in fairly early as well and headed to bed.  I decided to watch them bat one more time.  I wanted to make sure Dallas Keuchel got his 20th win of the season.  Well, that “one more time” at bat lasted eleven batters.  By the time the dust cleared the score was 17-2.  I felt safe going on to bed.  Keichel’s 20th win seemed fairly secure.  I checked it this morning.  The score ended up a team record 21-5.  They let ‘em score three more runs.  Confounded bullpen. 

Hebrews 3:13 says, “But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness.”


Father, thank you for the look of delight in Cailyn’s eyes when she spotted me at the school.  I hope she noticed same look in my eyes.  Amen.

No comments: